cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

back to windows 8

grizzlytamer68
Level 7
hello all, first let me apologize, i am not sure if i am in the right thread. my os is on my ssd along with my drivers and all my games are on a separate hard drive and i want to go back to windows 8 from windows 7 64 bit home premium. i know i need to do a fresh install of my os but will that effect my games on my other hard drive? i would hate to have to re-download and install them all. also, would i have to go back to my bios and redo my overclock? here is a list of my hardware....
250 gig ssd ( os )
16 gig of amd gamer series ram at 2133 mhz
fx 8350 overclocked to 4.5 ghz
evga 780 video card
asus crosshair v formula-z
soundblaster 3d recon soundcard
corsair h100i cpu cooler
ocz 1000 watt power supply
i had windows 8 before and i loved it but went back to windows 7 for troubleshooting purposes ( turns out the problem was me not doing a fresh install ) lesson learned lol. any help would be appreciated, thanks for youre time
7 REPLIES 7

MeanMachine
Level 13
Well there are a couple of solutions imo grizzlytamer68.

You can partition your drive and dual boot, then install your games on the new drive and still have access in W7. Most applications require an entry into your registry upon install , so either way you will have to re-install them.

Once you have your W8-8.1 with updated drivers and running stable you can then delete the partition you don't want.

I have done this, cause initially W8 had a number of driver issues. Most have been fixed now in 8.1.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

onyxx
Level 7
Hi , i upgrade my win7 to win8 on january. First i create a backup image of win7 and download win8 upgrade advisor from Microsoft site. Advisor show me a any incompatible programs and drivers. Then i buy a windows 8 upgrade cd and install it on my win7 - all games and my files was not deleted. When win8 runs i upgraded him to 8.1 from store...

i forgot to mention that i also have two 1tb hard drives,one is still empty and the other has my games on it. but, will i need to over clock again?

grizzlytamer68
Level 7
thanks all to the reply's, hopefully this weekend i will be doing the upgrade.

InFAMAS-ONE
Level 8
Hi!

Don't know if this will help you much, but it sounds similar to what I do.

I have Windows 8.1 on my RAIDR, and this is where Steam/Origin/battle.net etc is installed.

I also have 2 Samsung 840 Evo's in RAID0, which is where my games were actually installed to. If I do a fresh install of Windows, all I need to do is open up origin or whatever, change the game directory to point to the RAID0 array, and then click "Install" or "Download" on the games I have in the library of that client. The client then detects the game files on the SSD RAID0 array and configures them itself. No downloading it all over again, or anything.

The one thing you might have to do, especially with Battlefield 4, is go into the Regestry and make an edit. Battlefield 4 doesn't configure the registry when you do this, or copy backup files into your game directory. It will only do it when you install from the original disk, or download it via the client. If you don't do the registry edit, it will tell you that your expansions are not installed when you play the game, even though they are there, and the client tells you they're up to date!

This is an easy fix though, and you can find instructions on google. I don't know if you play BF4, or not, but I thought I'd give you an example of one problem that I know of, and you perhaps may encounter.

InFAMAS-ONE
Level 8
Regards your overclock, you shouldn't have to do it again, but there's something I WOULD do if I were you.

1. Save your O/C to a profile in BIOS
2. Load optimised defaults
3. Install/Upgrade windows
4. perform all updates
5. Make a system image if you wish (recommended).
6. After all that's done, go back into BIOS and load your O/C profile.
7. Run Prime95 / RealBench or similar with RealTemp for a while to check for stability and temperature.

I don't think there will be any problems, but it's always best to install or upgrade Windows under default settings, just in case something does go wrong.

I get the same problem. Success to fix with InFAMAS-ONE steps. Thanks