cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV Extreme - Code F2

Risen91
Level 7
Just finished building the computer and getting error code F2 before restarting.

Components:
Maximus IV Extreme
i7 3770k
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
HD Radeon 6990

The sticker says the bios version is 2001 (I think its the very last 4 numbers on the sticker near the SATA?) on the sticker but I have tried to flash it to 3604 after following a guide. The ROG Connect button flashed for about 5 seconds then stopped.
Tried both sticks of ram and also only one stick in the last slot.
Not tried re-seating the cpu yet (exhausted from building it all atm).

Its my first time building on my own, I made sure everything was done carefully, no idea whats causing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
You do not list your PSU and that is a key part of the system.

Is this a new motherboard? Or are you upgrading your CPU from a 2 series?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Found the problem and its currently fixed! The guide i was following said I needed to name the bios file M4EZ.ROG. By pure luck I found another tutorial mention it should only be M4E.ROG. This fixed it and allowed the new version to be installed.

Two small new problems though, first off the screen is only turning on 30% of the times on startup/reboot. When it does come on (after a few resets) it works fine, but only once did it suddenly go off after being on.
Secondly after starting up, the computer shuts down and restarts automatically, once its restarted it works fine. Cant see what error code its crashing on but the one before it is 9A (I think I saw E9 flash quickly as it crashed but its too fast to see properly)

Power supply is:
Corsair RM1000

All the components excluding the graphics card are new.

Thanks!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello there.

Check your VGA cable connectors and the power connectors to the VGA itself. I am assuming that the screen issue is during the bios POST process or also during the time you are in OS?

The double pump is normally when the BIOS is having to train memory or when changes have been made to the bios. Often this will happen when the PSU is powered down.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Risen91
Level 7
The screen crash can happen at any time it seems, sometimes it doesn't come on at all when I turn the power on and sometimes I'm just in windows and it will suddenly go off. it seems relatively stable once in windows though, the main problem is it not coming on at all, or in the bios post process.
All the cables are secure and the card keeps running (the fans still spin) even after the screen goes off.

The computer restarting happens every startup/reset without fail, its happened a few times on my other computer in the past but very very rarely. I'm just worried it could be causing damage of some sort but I really have no idea why. Its not a major problem but It would be nice to find out whats happening and maybe fix it.

HiVizMan
Level 40
How old is that PSU? Do you have a spare PSU or a mate that can lend you a PSU to test with?

Risen91
Level 7
PSU is brand new and I don't have another I can test with 😞 if there was a problem with the PSU wouldn't the whole thing just shut off?