cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI HERO won't boot up

ltousch
Level 7
Hi all,

When I switch on the power, the CPU LED lits up right away and the boot process doesn't go far showing a 00 Q-Code.
I've removed everything (RAM, GPU, HDDs), no change. I've checked 3 times that the CPU is well placed (I don't think that the CPU could be wrongly placed anyway).

How do I know if the mobo isn't DOA?
Could the PSU be not strong enough? It gives 610W.

Thanx
30 REPLIES 30

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Has the board ever powered up? What are the system components you are using?

ltousch
Level 7
The board powers up. It starts but stop at one point with Q-code 00. All the fans and HDDs are spinning.
The "CPU LED" lits up continuously 1 second after I press the start button.

The CPU is an INTEL Core i5 (i5-4690K).

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The motherboard's UEFI needs updating for the 4690K. Please follow the instructions in the thread linked below.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48855-Must-Do-s-for-making-4790K-work-with-Maximus-VI-Mothe...

ltousch
Level 7
Hi,
I can't execute this procedure. I can't boot up, neither start windows or access my HDDs. (I'm currently writing this post on another computer)
Is there another procedure with a USB stick, for example?

Praz
Level 13
Hello

No. The procedure laid out in the thread I linked to is explicit as to how the UEFI needs to be updated. The update require a Haswell non-refresh CPU.

ltousch
Level 7
Oh, so if I understand well, prior to execute this procedure, I need to buy (or find somewhere) a NON Devil's Canyon Processor compatible with that socket (and to install Windows)?

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Yes but not a non-DC. The update needs to be done with a non-refresh Haswell. Other options are to purchase a preflashed BIOS chips or locate a programmer and flash your chip.

ltousch
Level 7
Hi,
Would you have some advice on a cheap non-refresh Haswell CPU? I can find Haswell CPUs that go on an Intel 1150 socket.

ltousch
Level 7
Hi,
I had a look at the documentation on this site. I've found some interesting procedure about BIOS flashing here, section 2.2:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VI-HERO/E8459_Maximus_VI_Hero.pdf

Isn't it applicable to my case? (I'd like it better than to buy an extra CPU that I can't manage to find!!!)