cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximus V Gene detecting only half the RAM sticks

czernobog
Level 7
Hi,
Ihave a Maximus V Gene MB with a 3570k (stock clocks) 4 x 4GB Corsair XMS 1066Mhz sticks installed. Using the XMP profile they were overclocked to 2000MHz.
Yesterday my pc crashed (I wasn't present at the time, didn't see any error messages) and after booting nothing was shown on the screen, the fans ran at max speed and the LEd showed error 23. I have a Corsair H60 (2013) cooler and thought, that maybe the system has overheated. I switched it off for a few minutes, after booting the post message said "overclocking failed" and showed only 2 x 4GB of RAM were detected. I went to the bios and disabled the xmp profile, booted again, this time the system booted with no errors, but still only detected half the modules. The same issue is present under Win 7 BUT CPU-Z detects ALL of the sticks.
After this I have checked every possible 2 x 2 and 4 x 1 combination of the RAM sticks to see if a module or maybe a slot has failed, which would be weird, since cpu-z detects them all.
I am out of ideas now, every time I switch the XMP profile on, the system won't boot. What can be the cause of this?
Thanks in advance for any useful tips.

edit: the 4 x 4GB combination ran fine for almost 2 years now, I got the problem yesterday.
27 REPLIES 27

HiVizMan
Level 40
In your bios have a look and see if you have 'abnormal' reading for one or two of the slots.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
In your bios have a look and see if you have 'abnormal' reading for one or two of the slots.

Hi, there are no abnormal readings in the BIOS, I've made some quick photos:
Like I said, I've tried all ram slot combinations: A2, A1(2) + B1(2), an A1,2 + B1, 2. There are no issues, except for the last one, where only half the memory is detected.
There is no newer BIOS version I could flash to, resetting to optimized defaults didn't help.

HiVizMan
Level 40
If all your slots are picking up the memory then please follow the Memtest86+ guide as per my sig. You can download ver5.2 for USB stick.

Oh if you want to make screen shots of your bios a fat formatted USB stick and F12 on the screen you want to capture will do the trick for you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

czernobog
Level 7
Hi,
thanks for answering and sorry for the late reply, I had problems starting memtest. First one run completed successfully with almost 5 passes, I let it run during the night for about 6,5 hrs. I've also tried starting it in SMP mode (multicore), but the test hang after a few minutes.
Here's the successful result:

I will reseat the cpu today and apply some fresh paste, but I still find it strange, that this config ran without problems for almost half a year. Is it possible to get info about the mosfet an ram module temperature? Both of there are not actively cooled after I have mounted the H60 water block:s

EDIT: Forgot to add - as you can see memtest also only conducts the test for 2 modules, but detects all!

EDIT 2: So I found the guilty part - the fan on the BeQuiet Powerzone failed, and this cause the malfunction of the MB (CPU?).

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah good to hear you are sorted.

So your system is now picking up all the memory and not just half the fitted sticks?

Sadly not, resetting CMOS etc didn't work. The reset and start buttons don't work either. I intend to open an RMA on the mainboard, which will be a pain in the ass, since I bought it when I lived in another country (Germany now, Poland when the mb was bought) and afaik you can only open a support request with the vendor directly:(

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would follow my guide found in my sig to the letter and see which slot is the issue. Please do try.

You mean checking every memory module in the first (A2 in my case) slot or testing each slot with (A1 through B2) with a single module?

HiVizMan
Level 40
I mean follow the steps in my guide from the beginning of the guide and stopping once you detect an issue. That will tell me heaps of key information about where the issue may be located.