cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power4Gear Needed?

Torpedo499
Level 7
I just saw another thread saying to delete Power4Gear, or disable it from startup. Why?

What purpose/uses does it have?

Is it recommended to keep it?
20 REPLIES 20

broadleaf
Level 7
Its useless shovelware. If people suggest to remove then it's probably causing issues like most of redundant manufacturer specific software does.
its not like i have enormous sense of self importance, its just that im importanter than most

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
You can manage power plans through Windows and much more efficiently. P4G is an attempt at being an innovative alternative to Windows power management plans, but most users avoid it like the plague.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Wr3ckloose
Level 7
Power4Gear is necessary for the non tech savvy users. if asus didn't have this installed, then people who nothing about power settings would screwed. it also helps them troubleshoot users who call in with power issues as it gives them a default to work with.

i for one dont mind it at this point. you can always make your own power plan. i guess people like to free up the few megabytes that it takes up on their ssd's.

Maxter
Level 9
We discussed this topic on another thread about a month ago (including info about the new version of P4G). In short, if you are on the go and depend on battery power a lot (and want to maximize it), use P4G. If you always have access to a plug, uninstall. P4G will give you ~10% extra battery usage than using the windows power controller.

xdon82
Level 7
Does this software give any boost for GPU or CPU ? better performance ?

xdon82 wrote:
Does this software give any boost for GPU or CPU ? better performance ?

I'm not sure, someone said in another thread that it gives like a ~10% boost on performance, I doubt it though.

Torpedo499 wrote:
I'm not sure, someone said in another thread that it gives like a ~10% boost on performance, I doubt it though.

Power4Gear doesn't do anything itself to increase performance, but the underlying Windows Power Plans that set the Min/Max CPU speeds, is what tunes the performance.

For High Performance set Min/Max to 100%/100%, and for Balanced Performance set to 0%/100%, and for Battery saving set to 0%/99% - the 99% turns off Turbo mode.

You can uninstall Power4Gear, and use the Windows Power Plans, and set the one you want as Default. 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Power4Gear doesn't do anything itself to increase performance, but the underlying Windows Power Plans that set the Min/Max CPU speeds, is what tunes the performance.

For High Performance set Min/Max to 100%/100%, and for Balanced Performance set to 0%/100%, and for Battery saving set to 0%/99% - the 99% turns off Turbo mode.

You can uninstall Power4Gear, and use the Windows Power Plans, and set the one you want as Default. 🙂

That's a bit wrong. Power4Gear (at least the version on my machine, 1.1.40) silently overclocks system FSB by 8-9 MHZ which can be seen by any diagnostic software like HWINFO IF YOU USE HIGH PERFORMANCE profile.

Worse, it causes timing problems (HPET) with Battery Saving mode when used. I don't know why but you can see the problem by testing WinTimerTester using default Windows clocks (TPC) without enabling HPET.
ASUS G53JW-XA1

Torpedo499 wrote:
i guess he said 10% boost in battery life P4G Saving plan