cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a G56JR a good idea?

tesla_17
Level 7
Hi, I'm new to the forum so I hope this isn't the wrong section or anything.

I've had my Crosshair IV Formula for 3-4 years now, and now I need a laptop for my college so I've thought about the G56JR.
The thing is, I've read on the net that people are complaining about the graphics card and the fact that G56 isn't as good as they've expected it to be. Is the graphics card really such a bad issue in that price range? Should I get something other than a G56JR.

My two options are:
1. G56JR-CN169H
http://bit.ly/1nSYw7t

and the

2. G56JR-CN174H
http://bit.ly/1nSYw7t

depending on the extra money that I will have to spend on it (200 CHF).

So, does anyone own one of these and what are your experiences? Is it a relatively bad laptop to buy at this price range and what would you suggest me to by if it is?

Thanks in advance,
tesla_17
10 REPLIES 10

dblkk
Level 7
I'd hold out. The two you listed use the 760m which is a weak graphics card. If you get the newer series with the 860m (Maxwell) you will see a 30-50% improvement. Plus way better battery.

tesla_17
Level 7
Ok, do you have any suggestions which one? So I can look it up in the stores?
It doesn't even have to be ROG, if you have any other suggestions I'd be thankful.
But if it can be a ROG for the same price, I'd very much like that.

I can hold the buying up until Semptember if it helps me somehow..

dblkk
Level 7
ASUS N550JK-DS71T Non rog i7 4700, 8gb ram, 1tb hhd, 15.6 touchscreen, gtx 860m, 5 hour battery, $1100

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-N550JK-DS71T-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00IAA5BSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF...

Asus G550JK-DB71 is rog, i7 4700, 8gb ram, 750gb hhd, 15.6 screen, gtx 850m $1300
http://www.amazon.com/G550JK-DB71-CA-Republic-15-6-inch-i7-4700HQ-GTX850M-2G/dp/B00KXFSZSG/ref=sr_1_...

Lenovo Y50, i7 4700, 15.6 screen, 8gb ram, 1tb hhd +8gbssd cache, 860m $1050
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Y50-Laptop-Computer-Generation/dp/B00K71W5SC/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&i...

Otherwise, in a month or so, you can get the asus gx500 gaming laptop. Has a 4k screen, is 19mm thick, i7 ? something, is 15", gtx 860m, and all the goodies. But price will probably be higher than $1100. My best guess would be close to the $1500-1700 MSI Ghost with 3k screen.

Yeah, the MSI Ghost is a beast right now.
I've seen an Alienware laptop starting from 1000chf, but that would be too expensive I suppose if I wanted the equivalent to the upper proposed laptops.
Thanks for the suggestions, I believe I'll wait 'till mid August and then buy a laptop. If nothing, I won't do much gaming or anything GPU intensive with the laptop. I've got a really, really good PC for that. (6 cores @3.7ghz, HD6850 Toxic, Crosshair IV Formula, etc.)
I just need a strong processor and good RAM, and I suppose the G56JR would suffice, but why not get a better laptop for the same price if there is any. 🙂

Thanks once again, I appreciate it.

No, G550 is better choice
but i'm not sure about its screen resolution ... lower than in G56 ???? check this out and let me know

xdon82 wrote:
No, G550 is better choice
but i'm not sure about its screen resolution ... lower than in G56 ???? check this out and let me know

I've looked it up, it is better, but also more expensive. The thing is I can't find it in any of the Swiss stores, and that is mandatory for me. 😕
It has a couple of versions, just like the G56, the mid and top versions have fullHD IPS screens so it's pretty much the same like the g56jr, only for the IPS part?

on G56JR, most games [including new ones] You can play on high details and some of them on ultra high [like Formula One 2013], and some are playable only on medium [like Watch Dogs], of course at FullHD resolution
Good choice if you want to have powefull almost ultrabook to work and sometimes for gaming.
Nice thing is that, when You do simple work, like reading some webs, watching "light" movies [not HD], write in Word, etc, system doesn't need to run fan or do it only for a very short period - very quiet
Nice design, however metallic lcd cover is not strong. If You drop anything on it, then small dent will appear - tested 😛 hehe

Hehe sorry to hear about the "testing" incident 😄 , I hope I won't drop mine. (anytime soon, at least :P)

But yeah, I'm ordering the G56JR-CN169H tomorrow! (excited a bit)
Will use it 90% of the time for work and studying, so the graphics isn't that much of an issue.

I would like to have an SSD in it at some point, maybe use one of those bays/caddies to replace my DVD drive with it, or put the DVD drive in an external housing. (Don't really remember what was the last time I used my optical drive in these "flash" times. 2TB External HDD and an internet connection, what more do you need.)

Anyways, thank you guys for clarifying it up to me, now I understand everything that I've wanted to know.
Hope my RoG experience so far didn't mislead me into buying this machine. 🙂

the SSD instead of HDD is very good option. After power on, my system is ready within 3 seconds [not sleep mode, from total power off] However it doesnt have large capacity, but for example, I have SSD in my laptop and HDD from old laptop connected via USB device. On hdd I keep all large files like movies and many smalle like music, which I listen very rare and archival data [of course the latest ones I also keep on CDs, because when You drop HDD, the data may be lost].

If you have proper external HDD device controller, you can connect it to router and have access to the files via Wi-Fi. Perhaps not fast, but often it's enough and very comfortable option 🙂 If You need faster connection for a while in this solution, then You can connect using typical ethernet cable. Consider this. I think it's interesting

ROG is interesting family 🙂 However it could be [could have been? which iis correct ?] about 20% cheaper 😛