cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Matrix Platinum R9 290X, OC Tool and benching with chilled water

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
Recently i received the OC Tool for the Matrix Card, that where made available for the ROG Supreme OC Overclock team members tool by Asus (super !).

The package contained the OC Tool, 2 cables and ... 2 tiny connectors. As age is taking its toll, I had to find my reading glass to see where it should be placed. the pins where pretty darn small. The connector needs to placed on the GPU pcb, mind you, the location where it has to go is only accessible after disassembling the Matrix Platinum. Both the Air Cooler and the backplate have to be removed.

After studying it once more it thought it was maybe wise to see how my soldering skills were doing. Well that was a real fun route to follow, it sucked at it! But practice makes perfect (and maybe a little help from a local electronics shop), I finally got it done. After fixing the connector the LN2 OC mode had to be unlocked also by soldering a little bridge between 2 copper dots.

well why talk... here are a number of pictures
28 REPLIES 28

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
Well the bloody forum is bossing me around again, cant post pictures, get wierd statement that the tag/message is to short grrrrrrrrrrrr

So first some temperature readings, this is after quite heavy daily use...

This is with the Water Block Mounted:

The difference is huge !

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
Here some pics from the EK waterblock

jab383
Level 13
Nice!

The soldering job doesn't look too hard, but I'm with you about the reading glasses. I need to stack 2 pair to see what I'm doing when delidding.

The waterblock gets heat out of the GPU and RAM. I keep hearing of some that do okay on the GPU, but miss the RAM or the VRMs.

What TIM is used on the GPU?

How big is the chiller you're using for CPU plus this GPU? Seems like it would take 1HP or 750 watts to keep up with both under load.

Jeff

meankeys
Level 13
Henk
Thanks for the info. I have a OC tool on the way and the chiller and water blocks to follow. I am sure I will have many questions.

Looking Good brother 🙂

jab383 wrote:
Nice!

The soldering job doesn't look too hard, but I'm with you about the reading glasses. I need to stack 2 pair to see what I'm doing when delidding.

The waterblock gets heat out of the GPU and RAM. I keep hearing of some that do okay on the GPU, but miss the RAM or the VRMs.

What TIM is used on the GPU?

How big is the chiller you're using for CPU plus this GPU? Seems like it would take 1HP or 750 watts to keep up with both under load.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I have used (almost without thinking about it) the Artic MX4, which I use most. Its not just the Core that I have used the TIM on, but also a very small dot on every part that is covered with a thermal pad. This gives an even better conductivity than the thermal pads alone. On my reference R9 290X it tested this and it really drops the temp, I believe vrm2 benefitted most (like 20+ °C lower temp).

jab383 wrote:
How big is the chiller you're using for CPU plus this GPU? Seems like it would take 1HP or 750 watts to keep up with both under load. Jeff

The chiller I use is this one:
The Hailea Model: HC-300A.

Its designed for use for fish tanks, even salt water is no problem, its has a Titanium coil. Its capacity is up to 400 Liters of water that can be chilled from ambient 30 °c to 18 °C (give or take).

First calculations for this Chiller stated it had a 395Watt cooling capacity for PC cooling, however this figure has been adjusted to... indeed 795Watt (400 Liters of water vs maybe max 2 liters of water to cool, go figure). Its a true beast I can put it on lowest setting at 3 °C !!

But beware of the condensation monster !! Before you know it your system has turned into ... a fish tank, really no kidding!

The science behind the how, why what of condensation is really quite complicated, so I did a lot of research on this subject so if you have any questions let me know.

Running the system with water chilled at 3 °C, gives insane results !! CPU OCED at 4800MHz (4770K), running Cinebench R15 .... max core 21 °C ! The GPU on that water temp is completely nuts... Reference R9 290X at 1250/1600: GPU Core 26 °C, VRM 1 and 2 ..... 12 °C

meankeys wrote:
Henk
Thanks for the info. I have a OC tool on the way and the chiller and water blocks to follow. I am sure I will have many questions.

Looking Good brother 🙂

Thanks mate, happy to help !

Henkenator68NL wrote:

But beware of the condensation monster !! Before you know it your system has turned into ... a fish tank, really no kidding!

The science behind the how, why what of condensation is really quite complicated, so I did a lot of research on this subject so if you have any questions let me know.

I was testing some OC with my "ghetto" chiller:

And god damn! I got so much condensation I was shocked, I almost killed my 7970 Matrix. FC block = Bad idea. And only got about 8-12C gpu temp at best. However the card benches stable @1360Mhz at those temps, in ambient temp that would be about 1320Mhz.

I don't know if it's because the air humidity is high this time a year or what. During the winter I've ran the rad outside and have had subzero water temps and almost no condensation problems at all. I just used a fan that blew on the blocks and that took care of all the condensation problems.

Menthol
Level 14
You are very thorough in covering every aspect, I am the opposite, I just want to blow and go , water block arrive and there mounted and cards are in and crying in pain. Afterwords I think maybe I should of took a picture, keep a note or two on what I did. Thank goodness there are people like you and Zaka17 sharing details. The blocks do seem to cover all the heat producing components on the card.

jab383
Level 13
Thanks, Henkinator. That all gives me something to chew on.

I use MX-4 on aluminum stuff and where there can't be electrically conductive TIM. A drop on RAM and VRM is a great hint.

So is the 400 liter rating vs 2 liter actual water volume. I'll have to re-evaluate the chillers I've seen - probably don't need anywhere near the capacity I thought.

Jeff

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nice work Henk.

Like your style my friend.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.