cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install new ssd and use it as combo "ssd+hdd" (now i only have hdd in my g750)

AlexF
Level 7
Hi everyboby:

My G750 has only a 1TB HDD and I will receive soon my new SSD (Crucial MX100 512GB).

What I want to do is to keep both of them and use the SSD as the main drive for normal usage and the HDD as the mass data storage drive. My questions are:

1.- Can I just install the new SSD in the available bay of my G750JX? If so, how should I configure and do the cloning? (I am not shure if my amazon order will include CD & cable, suspect only the CD!).

2.- Or, do I require to connect a cable to my SSD as an external USB for doing the cloning?

3.- Finally, which recommendations would you give to automatically program new data saving/writing in the HDD?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Alejandro.
8 REPLIES 8

Darnassus
Status Under Review
You don't need a cable, it plugs right into the board.

Use any cloning utility you want, as long as the program specifically "CLONES" then it'll do the job. Hopefully it's a cloner that makes you reboot the computer and continues the operation in DOS.

Once the cloning is complete, remove the HDD and put in the SSD on the same slot, boot up the computer and test if everything's working.

If everything's working as planned, format your HDD.

P.S. I believe you may need to change a setting in the BIOS to make the SSD your boot drive. Just a heads up. Try with the above for now.

Maxter
Level 9
Ha! I just bought the MX100 too, but the 256 GB version! 5 more days!!!!!!!!! I don't think you'll need the HDD at all with the 512GB version, unless you have THAT much music and videos. I calculated that in my size I can have all common software + 3-5 big games (including titanfall). The MX100 does not lag with compressed files as do most other SSDs, so there is no need for the HDD. Also, forget the cloning. It'll be a headache... too many BIOS issues I've been reading about. Do ASUS backtracker, replace HDD for SSD and begin installation process. The SDD needs to be where your HDD sits now. You should only have 1 drive on while doing the backtracker (your computer will be like out-of-the-box after this).

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Hi Alejandro!

AlexF wrote:
1.- Can I just install the new SSD in the available bay of my G750JX? If so, how should I configure and do the cloning? (I am not shure if my amazon order will include CD & cable, suspect only the CD!).

Yes, you insert it into the open bay. You'll need to affix the shield/plate so that you can secure the drive in place. Cloning is pretty simple: you boot to your clone/imaging software, select the current OS drive (your hard drive), then select the SSD as the drive to copy the image to. You don't need a cable, and the CD provided, if any, will probably be for data migration, but it may not be cloning/imaging software per se.

2.- Or, do I require to connect a cable to my SSD as an external USB for doing the cloning?

No, you can do all of your cloning using the two SATA ports within the system.

3.- Finally, which recommendations would you give to automatically program new data saving/writing in the HDD?

I don't know of any programs that do this, but there are some guides out there for Windows workarounds. Some of the ones I read up on were not very stable, so tread with caution!

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Hi guys! Thank you all for your comments and recommendations, I find all of them really usefull!

Saludos, regards!

Hi again:

I studied the scenarios and altough I was going to do the ASUS Backtracker, it seems that it only works for Windows 8 and my G750 already is with WIndows 8.1

So, I received today my new MX100 and will start the cloning with Acronis, which seems to be easy (crossfingers!) let's see!

Regards,

Alejandro.

Maxter
Level 9
If you start getting BSODs, then you might rethink the cloning... let me know! (since I'll be doing this next week) 😄

AlexF
Level 7
Taraaaaa!!!:cool: Now everythink works really fast and the cloning was ok and I had the chance to learn more about the Bios.

I recommend Acronis not just for cloning but for recovery and other usefull tools.

My Windows experience moved from 5.9 to 7.9 (SSD rated 8.1!)

Thanks to everybody for your unvaluable help!

Regards,

Alejandro-

AlexF
Level 7
¿Somebody can tell me why now in my "WIndows Experience Index" (Chris PC) in my Processor is just 6.5?
¿Can I do something to improve it?

Thanks!

Attached the result: