cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAIDR Secure erase Boot disk compatability issues

InFAMAS-ONE
Level 8
Hi.

Just to inform ASUS ROG, that there seems to be a compatability issue with the boot disk for secure erase.

I followed the guide EXACTLY.

Step 1: Shut down computer, and moved DuoMode switch from UEFI to Legacy.

Step 2: entered BIOS and set CSM Boot perameters.

Step 3: During Post, pressed CTRL+M to enter Marvell RAID manager.

Step 4: Deleted RAID Volume.

Step 5: Inserted RAIDR Support disk into optical drive, pressed F10 to exit, and Y to confirm.

Step 6: Pressed enter when prompted to boot from RAIDR support disk.

Problem struck: Boot process halts.

Solution: Removed RAIDR from my system, and put it on my old Maximus V GENE. RAIDR Secure erase now boots.

Step 7: erased both SSD's on the PCB.

Step 8: replaced RAIDR in my system, entered Marvell utility, and reconfigured RAID0 volume.

My system specs are listed below. This is a list of all the connected components during Boot failure:

Motherbaord: Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: i7 4930K
RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400C11R @ 1333MHz (tried with only 1 8GB stick, and also with different memory).
O.S. drive: RAIDR express, located in PCI-E slot 2 (Obviously no O.S. installed at this time).
GPU's: 2x Poseidon Platinum GTX 780 in SLI, located in PCI-E slots 1 & 3 (Tried with only one card in also).
PSU: Corsair AX1200i.

With this setup, the boot process just hung, several times. The setup I used to get it working is listed below:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus V GENE.
GPU: i5 3570k.
RAM: 4GB (1x4GB0 GEIL Value Plus 1600 @ 1333.
O.S. Drive: RAIDR Express, located in PCI-E x4_1 slot. (Obviously no O.S. installed at this time).
GPU: 1 Poseidon Platinum GTX 780, loacted in PCI-Ex16 slot.
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W.

It seems that it has issues booting with the Rampage IV Black Edition. Is there an updated file that addresses these compatability issues, that I can download and create a bootable USB in order to use the RAIDR Express secure erase facility. If not, could you please find it in your infinate wisdom to make one? It's obviously a problem if people need to have a basic system JUST for instances like these. I am actually selling my V GENE, so once it's gone, I won't be able to erase my RAIDR, which cost a LOT of money.

Apart from that, I love everything you guys do, that's why I've filled my system with pretty much every ROG component I can get my hands on. I feel that sometimes, support does need to be addressed though, to prevent compatability issues such as this one.

Thanks guys 🙂
6 REPLIES 6

3WCRATOR
Level 7
InFAMAS-ONE wrote:
Hi.

Just to inform ASUS ROG, that there seems to be a compatability issue with the boot disk for secure erase.

I followed the guide EXACTLY.

Step 1: Shut down computer, and moved DuoMode switch from UEFI to Legacy.

Step 2: entered BIOS and set CSM Boot perameters.

Step 3: During Post, pressed CTRL+M to enter Marvell RAID manager.

Step 4: Deleted RAID Volume.

Step 5: Inserted RAIDR Support disk into optical drive, pressed F10 to exit, and Y to confirm.

Step 6: Pressed enter when prompted to boot from RAIDR support disk.

Problem struck: Boot process halts.

Solution: Removed RAIDR from my system, and put it on my old Maximus V GENE. RAIDR Secure erase now boots.

Step 7: erased both SSD's on the PCB.

Step 8: replaced RAIDR in my system, entered Marvell utility, and reconfigured RAID0 volume.

My system specs are listed below. This is a list of all the connected components during Boot failure:

Motherbaord: Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: i7 4930K
RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400C11R @ 1333MHz (tried with only 1 8GB stick, and also with different memory).
O.S. drive: RAIDR express, located in PCI-E slot 2 (Obviously no O.S. installed at this time).
GPU's: 2x Poseidon Platinum GTX 780 in SLI, located in PCI-E slots 1 & 3 (Tried with only one card in also).
PSU: Corsair AX1200i.

With this setup, the boot process just hung, several times. The setup I used to get it working is listed below:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus V GENE.
GPU: i5 3570k.
RAM: 4GB (1x4GB0 GEIL Value Plus 1600 @ 1333.
O.S. Drive: RAIDR Express, located in PCI-E x4_1 slot. (Obviously no O.S. installed at this time).
GPU: 1 Poseidon Platinum GTX 780, loacted in PCI-Ex16 slot.
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W.

It seems that it has issues booting with the Rampage IV Black Edition. Is there an updated file that addresses these compatability issues, that I can download and create a bootable USB in order to use the RAIDR Express secure erase facility. If not, could you please find it in your infinate wisdom to make one? It's obviously a problem if people need to have a basic system JUST for instances like these. I am actually selling my V GENE, so once it's gone, I won't be able to erase my RAIDR, which cost a LOT of money.

Apart from that, I love everything you guys do, that's why I've filled my system with pretty much every ROG component I can get my hands on. I feel that sometimes, support does need to be addressed though, to prevent compatability issues such as this one.

Thanks guys 🙂

Same problem here.

Asus?

Where is Asus

I have a problem that fits here.
I followed all the steps above, even put in another ASUS board (P5K Premium / WiFi-AP) however not worked.

Every attempt to use the CD version or downloaded to the SECURE ERASE it hangs at a different time.

I hope some attention with relation to the issue.

InfernoStorm
Level 10
It's probably better to contact ASUS support directly as the RAIDr SSDs are not very popular ASUS/ROG products so for sure for something like this, not a lot of people will have the product or experience with similar issue which they can share with you. Anyways I'll contact Bahz to check with the product team at ASUS and I'm sure they can assist with this issue.

yeah I am having same problem, states in the "manual" Asus Raidr Express pci is ready to go with no drivers...my os (X) see them as 2 individual drives - approx. 110 GB each. Tried the Marvell utility to secure erase and build raid0 - don't work as explained. very frustrating after spending 400 + on that sorry mf.
I am working on a ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA, AMD FX8350BE, CORSAIR H80, XFXHD 7790, 2 OCZ VECTORS IN RAID 0 FOR YRS..NO PROBLEMS, COUPLE WD 2 TB BLACKS, 2 ASUS OD, 1 BLUBURN, 1 BD...SEEMS THE BOIS DOESN'T HAVE THE OPTIONS THAT THE MANUAL IS CALLING FOR.
And the online instructions.....WoW - have you go through the marvell setup 3-4 times....wth ?

Cant speak to the supposed engineers ( although I am one ) without registering your product, which is major pain in the ass.