cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula VERY slow post + F4 LED error

robble
Level 7
First - the computer had been running fine for about 6 months then one day:

Basically, hit power on switch and it can take upwards of 10 MINUTES before the post screen comes up. The error led cycles until F$, hangs a little while then repeats the same cycle again and hangs etc etc.. eventually something catches and it'll post. it then boots into windows normally and seems to work fine. The wait time does seem to have gotten progressively worse. it started at about 2 minutes, sometime fine most time not..

I've taken out vidcard, reset bios, removed battery for 10 minutes.. check all connections, haven't removed ram simply because of the gigantic cpu cooler over the top of them.

has an i5 3570k currently at all default settings. has only a mild overclock before.

850watt XFX black edition PS
two sticks 4gb Kingston ram
nvidia vid card - removed and running off I% video
bios version 1707 x64

I know I can try removing ram, mobo from case, reseat cpu etc, but was hoping someone may have heard of this before and let me know whats up before I start tearing it down. I saw another thread where someone had the same problem - he did all the stuff I just mentioned but it didn't resolve the issue.

Thanks for any ideas/help!
3 REPLIES 3

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi robble and Welcome to ROG.

Latest Bios for your MB is 1903, I suggest you update for better stability. Go here: http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/MAXIMUS_V_FORMULA/HelpDesk_Download/

Download the Bios file to an empty (Fat32 format) USB stick and, at the same time download the renaming tool from Bios Utilities.

Activate the renamer and this will convert the Bios file to correct Bios file format.

Follow the instructions in your manual for Bios Flashback. I don't have a copy of your manual for exact method to use.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Ok, updated bios to 1903. Get rog splash screen pretty quick and the a " bootmgr missing press ctrlaltdel to reboot. " message.

EDIT:
GOT INTO BIOS.. RESET BOOT ORDER AND EUREKA!

Thanks! don't know why it was working with old bios and then didn't... no hardware changed. but hey, it's working now 😃

MeanMachine
Level 13
Your Welcome mate and thanks for reporting back.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]