cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75vx - Reinstalling Windows 8 (missing files)

ahmadrifaee
Level 7
Hi, I own a G75vx. It comes with 4 visible hard drives (drive C & D on SSD, E & F on 1tb hd). I've used EaseUS partition to merge my drive C & D coz my drive C is always running out of space. Right after merging, i was planning to reinstalling my Windows 8 on the new merged drive C. This is when i faced problems. (' not exact message but to the same extent)

1st - When trying to 'remove everything & reinstall Windows', i got a 'MIssing files, please insert the recovery media'

2nd - Tried to used F9 instead, got a message 'required drive partition missing'.

3rd - tried to use asus backtracker to create recovery media, got a error message 'check ur pc connected to power supply'

4th - tried to download iso file from windows, got a message 'my OEM product key not applicable for retail Windows download.

Please, I've tried googling & testing different solutions but i end up getting confused. Can someone assist me please?
24 REPLIES 24

redduc900
Level 9
Tried to used F9 instead, got a message 'required drive partition missing'

It's because you changed the size of the root volume by merging it w/ 😧 (on mine they're labeled 😧 and F:, alongside 2 x recovery partitions and a 100MB EFI partition). The recovery software expects to see the same partition table layout as it was when it left the factory.
Laptop: Asus G750JZ

so is there any way I can fix this? Is there anywhere I can download the recovery disk & do a clean install of Windows 8 on my new C:? I have my OEM product key.

Well Backtracker would have been the correct thing to do before you screwed up your Recovery partitions. You can try this https://www2.media.microsoftstore.com/windows/registerkey.aspx?culture=en-US Although I don't know if an OEM license will work I think you will only get a Win 8 DVD you still have to upgrade to 8.11
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Well Backtracker would have been the correct thing to do before you screwed up your Recovery partitions. You can try this https://www2.media.microsoftstore.com/windows/registerkey.aspx?culture=en-US Although I don't know if an OEM license will work I think you will only get a Win 8 DVD you still have to upgrade to 8.11

Thanks...I tried it, but it says my product key is not eligible.
Don't understand still, why this has to be such a hassle.....
Asus should have supplied the key with purchase, or at least have a download site to retrieve a back up copy...
You know...for those of us who weren't so computer savvy, and did screw up.

Thanks for the link however.

I don't think any of the manufacture are giving up DVD for restore any longer. They have the recovery partitions and for Windows 8 Backtracker I know when I got my G75VW it nagged me forever to make the recovery disk. You can extract your Win 8 Key and if you can find a Win 8.1 core disk you can clean install. You'll need to use a Generic Key to get the install started. You can Goggle for these generic keys there only good to start the Install. You'll have to have your win 8 OEM Core key.

I don't think its Asus fault as much as Microsoft doesn't want us to have ISO unless we pay for a retail version.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/39197-unable-use-built-asus-recovery-partition.html
http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/38486-need-help-formatted-genuine-windows-8-lenovo.htm...
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks guys for all your help.. I read one of the links provided by Clintlgm, extracted below..

Hamad Gondal

Windows 8

Thanks Everyone for your help and Support... The issue has been resolved

A big thanks to SIW2... Hats off to you

what i did is

1. Download the tool ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ophotsq6fjrbzl/REv16.zip)
2. Run the code Follow the instructions and make a bootable USB.
3. Reboot the System via USB.
4. From the menu, select GimageX
5. Goto Apply Tab
6. Selected the .wim file in Source and C drive in destination.
7. Click Apply and Done.

Then it enabled me to reset my computer to factory settings from F9 menu without any error.

My suggestion to the new guys reading this post is Don't lose hope its is nothing keep on reading the instructions and the posts again and again and eventually you will learn how to do it. In the start i was confused too and didn't know what to do but i kept on trying this is my 4th day and i have succeed.

I'm done till Step 2.. The question is how do i reboot the system using USB. Tried pressing Esc when restarting but the boot option seems different from before.. there's no USB for me to select..

ahmadrifaee wrote:
so is there any way I can fix this? Is there anywhere I can download the recovery disk & do a clean install of Windows 8 on my new C:? I have my OEM product key.

Now thinking about it, I believe you need a Windows 8 "OEM Version" ISO for your key to work.
Your OEM product key will not work on a retail ISO copy!

Windows Activation terms (source HP support)
The following explains the terms that are used during the activation process:

OEM Activation 3.0 (OA3): No personal intervention is normally required to activate Windows, but the computer must be connected to the Internet for Windows to activate automatically.

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Try using this generic key XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB, at the point when the Windows 8 installer asks for your key enter the generic key.
(This key is perfectly legal, and is used just for this purpose)
****If you need a Windows 8 setup exe, here you go****>>
Windows8-Setup.exe

This video below will show you how to do all, and change key to your OEM key that's enbedded in the BIOS.
simple tutorial video

PS: If the program in the video for key retrieval doesn't work, then use this program to retrieve you OEM key >belarc advisor

Good luck

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55, the product key have already been blocked..

Guys, I've found this website where i can purchase the factory reset disk, just wondering if anyone knows if it's a reliable site? At this point, i'm just so confused after trying out all the options & the below link might just be the quickest 20usd solution, rather than purchasing a retail Win8.. My last option would be to try out my above post before purchasing from the below link, if anyone can give any advice??

http://factoryreset.co.uk/os/Asus-G75VX/#AsusG75VXwin8recoveryiso