cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something New in Sentelic Driver?

JRd1st
Level 12
Has anyone noticed there's a new item called "Asus SmartSense" in the configuration for the new 9.1.77 drivers? ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Touchpad/Touchpad_Sentelic_Win7_64_Z9177.zip

Maybe I just never noticed it before. Here's the scoop!

ASUS SmartSense is useful to users whose hands may unintentionally touch the pad while typing at keyboard. With ASUS SmartSense enabled, the pad is disabled while user is typing at the keyboard. The pad keeps disabled until finger moves on the activation region which is a circle you can configure by specifying the center and the size.

Try to adjust activation region by choosing from the pre-defined settings or customizing it manually. To specify the center of circle, adjust the X and Y slider. To change the size of circle, adjust the radius slider."

Seems to work well for me, but I'm not big on using the touchpad, so it's not so noticable to me.

What do you think?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
I turn touchpads off and just use mice whenever possible but this seems like it might be a decent alternative to completely turning it off.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Personally, I'd rather have a trackball on my laptop than a touchpad.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

xeromist
True, but now people want multi-touch and you can't have that with a trackball. I don't see them going back to that anytime soon.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

BrodyBoy
Level 10
SmartSense isn't new....they had the same feature before (at least in 9.1.35). I don't think they used that term, but the function was there and better-implemented. v9.1.77 doesn't seem to allow you to set the response delay time, which is an important parameter for people whose hands tend to contact the touchpad when typing.

I tried v9.1.77 yesterday and didn't like it. I uninstalled and reverted back.

dstrakele
Level 14
SmartSense causes a region of the touchpad to deactivate during typing to prevent cursor movement from a palm on the touchpad. The size of the deactivated region is configurable. This first appeared in Sentelic 9.1.7.0 and was reworked a little in 9.1.7.7. Earlier versions of the Sentelic driver had a checkbox to enable the entire touchpad deactivation durng typing. There was a delay setting to reactivate the touchpad after typing ceased.

I find both methods work for me, although I had to configure the typing reactivation time to 2.0 seconds in the earlier Sentelic driver to avoid problems when typing. The 0.5 second default was too low for me.

EDIT: The above is incorrect. SmartSense disables the entire touchpad when typing. Touching the touchpad in the defined circular "reactivation" region will restore cursor movement and function.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Yahooligan
Level 7
Thanks for the update/link, I've installed it but haven't fully tested it yet. I think between the "disable pad when external mouse is connected" and the SmartSense region this should be just about perfect. With the previous driver (Unsure of the version) I did have issues with my palm touching/resting on part of the touchpad while going to type and it messing up window focus, etc.
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool: