cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G550JK (Win 8.1) Poor wifi connectivity, only getting 2 out of 5 bars

slimo
Level 7
Just bought the G550JK (Win 8.1) and am only getting 2 out of 5 bars wireless connectivity at home.
The old HP laptop in the same place in the house got 5 bars consistently.
Have tried a couple of things like different wireless drivers but worried that the wireless network card isn't working properly - any other suggestions?
15 REPLIES 15

Maxter
Level 9
Did you try the new drivers in support.asus.com? If so, I bet you the issue is the router, not your laptop. Try changing the WiFi channel on your router. If you have an android, download "WiFi Analyzer" to check the best channel available for your home network.

Thanks for the suggestions - I tried a wifi analyser last night (inSSIDer) but it showed no interference or difference between the channels. Also the fact that our 5 year old HP laptop gets full reception in the same spot in the house made me think it was the wifi card in this laptop.

I have tried installing a different driver from the ASUS website (Qualcom Atheros driver) but might give a different driver a try.

Maxter
Level 9
make sure you are looking at the correct G750 version. It's easy to get them mixed up... even though I think they should all have the same card.

Sil3nc328
Level 7
Hi Slimo,

I have the same model as well, while i don't have poor reception despite being within range of the modem. What i do face is spikes when i play DOTA2, to which i remedied with a ethernet cable. What i do suggest is you access your modem's gateway and tweak the settings to rule out the issue of it being the modem and NOT your network card. Furthermore, I do believe the 7260AC isn't really good despite being one of the newer cards out there.
Hope your problems are solved.

Maxter
Level 9
check open ports for gaming (through the router), and also in your firewall (in the PC)

Thanks again for all the advice.
I would like to rule out the router as our other (older) laptop has no problems with connectivity in the same spot (5 bars consistently) and also had connection issues at a friend's house the other day (and they had a much newer router).

I agree plugging in directly via ethernet cable would be a good fix but I shouldn't have to do that - I would like to think ASUS products should work properly when new.

I am going to take the laptop to the designated service centre and get them to check the wireless card as I believe this is where the problem is.

Maxter
Level 9
keep in mind that bars don't really mean much. If you get the limit speed by your ISP, then it doesn't matter if you have 2 or 5.

True although playing games the connection to the steam servers drops consistently. And as I mentioned a 5 year old laptop has better connection than a new ROG laptop which perplexes me!!

Maxter
Level 9
Have you tried adjusting the power settings? there is an option to set the WiFi card to full performance. I was having issues here at the university connecting until I forced the WiFi (I think it's called Wireless Link) to High Performance on all power plan settings.