cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus PG278Q Out of Range bug

Ashbinder
Level 7
Greetings.

I have recently purchased this screen and it seems to have a very annoying bug.
Some games, when set to Fullscreen (Which is a prerequisite of G-Sync) Mode display an "Out Of Range" message.
So far, two games are affected: Path Of Exile and Torchlight 2.
Currently using the latest Nvidia driver 340.52 on a GTX 780. I have tried to install several different older drivers with the same result.
The funny part is that both games WORKED a few days ago without this problem! I haven't changed a single setting prior to them "malfunctioning" in this manner.
With Path of Exile, when the message is displayed, I can ALT+TAB out and back in, and the game is displayed fine...for a time. Then it will randomly display it again.

I'd appreciate a resolution to this problem as it makes G-Sync non-functional.

Kind regards,

Ash
52 REPLIES 52

X-ROG
Level 15
As Nvidia is iteratively updating its drivers to make GSync better, 340.52 (or, latest) is definitely recommended.

Just those two titles or all games? Did they receive any (Steam?) updates recently?
Are you running 60/120/144?
At 2560x1440? (In the game settings as well?) What about if you turn down the in game resolution?

Just trying to isolate the issue. Out of range sounds like some sort of a rendering issue with the game engine, but if it worked before it makes no sense...

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
As Nvidia is iteratively updating its drivers to make GSync better, 340.52 (or, latest) is definitely recommended.

Just those two titles or all games? Did they receive any (Steam?) updates recently?
Are you running 60/120/144?
At 2560x1440? (In the game settings as well?) What about if you turn down the in game resolution?

Just trying to isolate the issue. Out of range sounds like some sort of a rendering issue with the game engine, but if it worked before it makes no sense...

I have same problem as well.

Happens with:

NVIDIA G-SYNC Pendulum demo
Far Cry 3
Battlefield 4

No other games tested yet.

Drivers tested:

331.65(originally installed)
340.52(Newest at the moment)
340.27(came with PQ278Q driver CD)

Card: Asus GTX780

Tried all 60/120/144 Hz with all drivers. Same problem happerns with all driver version, except with 337.88. With that G-SYNC didnt work at all.

EDIT: Tried 1080p and 720p as well. Doesn't work with low resolution either.

Hmm, I just tried to disable G-Sync in the Nvidia Control Panel right after WoW stopped working, and it loaded normally.
Going to continue testing.

Ashbinder
Level 7
This is the most random bug I've ever encountered!
I've played both Path of Exile and Torchlight 2 today, and both worked in full screen.
Then when I was playing WoW, all of a sudden I started getting the same thing in that game as well!
I tried both 1080p and 120hz instead of the usual 144hz, but the problem still persisted.

Jiijii
Level 7
Its working for me now. What i did:

1. Uninstall all NVIDIA drivers
2. Reboot computer
3. Disconnect and reconnect DP cable
4. Install NVIDIA drivers

Instead just disconnecting and reconnecting DP cable, i switched my old one to the one that came with PQ278Q. So im not completely sure if it was just cable or uninstalling drivers and re-installing clean.

Ashbinder
Level 7
I am using the cable that came with the screen.
I also tried to reinstall multiple driver versions.
It seems this problem just comes and goes at random.

Ashbinder
Level 7
Okay, I can confirm now that this is 100% related to G-Sync.
When I turn G-Sync on in the Control Panel, the problem returns (Although randomly, not always right away or in the same games).
When it is off, games run 100% problem-free.
The question now, is this an Nvidia driver problem, or a problem with the screen itself?

hi everyone, i have same problem as well at first.
after reinstall driver it still happen...
but then i replug display port cable, it worked ...
i doubt maybe the problem is display port cable came with screen ?
maybe you can try another "expensive" dp cable and find out what will happen...

X-ROG
Level 15
It's a G-Sync issue sorry. Will have to wait for Nvidia to provide a new driver update I'm afraid.