cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JS -System Idle Process, CPU on 99% almost all the time now... What is going on?

us18x
Level 7
It seems I am getting a problem after another, this is my 3rd G laptop and it's a very frustrating experience so far....

I never had this problem with my older laptop G750JX. I am running windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Is anyone having the same problem or I am the only one?! How do you fix it?? I tried task manager and end the process but it doesn't allow me 😕

Please help!
12 REPLIES 12

hmscott
Level 12
us18x wrote:
It seems I am getting a problem after another, this is my 3rd G laptop and it's a very frustrating experience so far....

I never had this problem with my older laptop G750JX. I am running windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Is anyone having the same problem or I am the only one?! How do you fix it?? I tried task manager and end the process but it doesn't allow me 😕

Please help!

us18x, dude, relax - play some games, stop looking for problems 🙂

System Idle Process is just a place holder for counting unused CPU... if your computer is 100% Idle, then the System Idle Process will show 100% "usage".

Not a problem 🙂

And, remember Google / Wikipedia are your friends 😉

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Idle_Process

Don't feel bad, even John Dvorak got reeled in by the System Idle Process 🙂

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1304348,00.asp

Dvorak was wrong about System Idle Process - Dvorak was having other weirdness with Windows XP at the same time and attributed it to high System Idle Process "Usage" 🙂

"Here are a few of my gripes – most of them a result of excessive patching.

IDLE-TIME PROCESS. Once in a while the system will go into an idle mode, requiring from five minutes to half an hour to unwind. It's weird, and I almost always have to reboot. When I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, I see that the System Idle Process is hogging all the resources and chewing up 95 percent of the processor's cycles. Doing what? Doing nothing? Once in a while, after you've clicked all over the screen trying to get the system to do something other than idle, all your clicks suddenly ignite and the screen goes crazy with activity. This is not right."

us18x
Level 7
Thanks man, even though this was never happening before in my older machines... I hate Optimus!

us18x wrote:
Thanks man, even though this was never happening before in my older machines... I hate Optimus!

us18x, it was happening, you just didn't notice it... if you don't sort processes by CPU, or do it in reverse, you won't see it.

If you sort Details => CPU by highest usage, you will always see System Idle Process at or near the top.

Yeah bro I am aware of that but what troubled me that this was more consistent than before... My JX model wasn't like the present JS model is. I am disappointed with ASUS this year model and even debating on returning it and keep using my JX until ASUS come up with a new model that doesn't have Optimus total crap technology. Thank you again

us18x wrote:
...I am disappointed with ASUS this year model and even debating on returning it and keep using my JX until ASUS come up with a new model that doesn't have Optimus total crap technology. Thank you again

us18x, it's funny, some people just love it, and if Optimus did do what I wanted, run Intel on Battery and run Nvidia on AC - to keep the heat off the CPU during AC use and provide best performance on AC use - I mean, who the heck wants to spend all the $ on a high end Nvidia GPU and have stuff run on the CPU iGPU - NO ONE BUT INTEL 😉

It's a tough choice.

Did you run all your benchmarks against the JS like you did on the JX to compare Nvidia GPU performance. I know some things run measureably better, but I gotta believe that for most use, games /etc the fps is going to be about the same.

Any games run better on the JS vs the JX?

The performance is very close only 12% difference and it won't say G870m it says generic as some how the intel crap is involved in the test even when I made sure that 3d settings is set on using g870m strictly in 3dmark on the highest settings... On 3dmark the DX9 test the JX beats the JS, DX10 is a tie almost and DX11 is a 12% difference for the JS over JX. I am not impressed at all when they said there is a noticeable difference but in reality it's not also ASUS needs to put a faster CPU instead of this stock i7 one that been using for 2 years already...

us18x wrote:
The performance is very close only 12% difference and it won't say G870m it says generic as some how the intel crap is involved in the test even when I made sure that 3d settings is set on using g870m strictly in 3dmark on the highest settings... On 3dmark the DX9 test the JX beats the JS, DX10 is a tie almost and DX11 is a 12% difference for the JS over JX. I am not impressed at all when they said there is a noticeable difference but in reality it's not also ASUS needs to put a faster CPU instead of this stock i7 one that been using for 2 years already...

us18x, I am just glad Asus picked the 4700HQ instead of the 4700MQ - I couldn't run my VMware/Virtualbox stuff on an 4700MQ without VT-d - compare the differences at ark.intel.com:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/75116,75117

As far as the difference in GPU between the JX / JS, that is what I would have expected. Have you used Asus Tweak Tool for Graphics Cards on the JX? I was able to get a more than 12% improvement in real performance by upping the GPU clock to 932 and memory clock to 5200 - give it a try, and I think it will tilt the choice all the way toward the JX. 🙂

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops vs Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45644-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Laptops-vs-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Grap...

Which CPU do you want Asus to upgrade to? Another Haswell, or something newer? 🙂

us18x
Level 7
I did tweak the GPU, take a look:

Stock setting

GPU Clock 1060(MHz), GPU Voltage 900(mV), Memory Clock 1300(MHz)

What do you think? System is pretty much stable and thinking to push it to it's limits 1101 MHz and 5500 MHz, you think I should give it a try or keep it on these settings?

us18x wrote:
I did tweak the GPU, take a look:

Stock setting...

GPU Clock 1060(MHz), GPU Voltage 900(mV), Memory Clock 1300(MHz)

What do you think? System is pretty much stable and thinking to push it to it's limits 1101 MHz and 5500 MHz, you think I should give it a try or keep it on these settings?

us18x, each model GPU has different characteristics, and the memory used limits speed. There haven't been a lot of reports yet on OC'ing the 870 so I don't have a good feel what the typical limits are.

The general rule on an unknown new chip is to start slow, and watch the temperatures - start with the GPU first, at say a 10% OC - then increase by a reasonable increment until you start to get rendering errors - sparklies or row tearing or color weirdness - then back down half of the last increment and test again - etc. Then run a number of benchmarks and stress tests - constantly watching the temperature - and see if anything weird happens - like display driver stopped... once you are comfortable with the GPU OC, then start on the memory OC.

Same thing with the memory OC. Start at 10%, find a good increment for increase, and test the same. You can keep the stable GPU OC while finding the crush depth for the memory speed - watch for graphics anomalies - and when you get them the first time back down 1/2 increment and test again.

When you are sure you have stable numbers, create a new thread to post them!

Have fun! 🙂