cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gene VII boot error (Q code FE) PLEASE help

username_sebi
Level 7
Hi guys, I always were an big fan of ROG and had Asus systems, but for the first time I'm encountering this big problem, and I can't solve it what ever I try.
I build up my new pc (i7 4790 + R9 290 + Maximus VII Gene + 16gb Ram) 3 weeks ago, and everything worked excellent. But today I upgraded my pc with an pc cooler, fan-less design, and when I press the start button, my monitor doesn't even react, also doesn't boots up nor bios. I'm very sad about this happening, its so unexpected, and hope its not because of the new cooler, after all has no sense.
The problem I guess are the Rams, and of course I checked them often to be in place, than I tried to boot up with just one Dimm, but still the same error code. The log Q code are the followings : 13, 15, fast, and than FE. They meaning : Pre-memory System Agent initialization is started / Reserved for future AMI errors codes.
Please if someone has any kind of other solution to safe my pc, I invested much money into it and satisfied me with every high end game, and now this... 😞
Thank you very much !
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15
Can be uneven pressure warping the motherboard during your install of the new heatsink. Try loosening the screws a few. If that doesn't work, test with the Intel stock heatsink.

Hmm really? I will try it ! Thanks for the hint.
I also noticed that the DRAM led is lightning red, so at least I know for sure that just the Rams have the issues (I hope).

username_sebi
Level 7
Youre info was correct! thanks a lot man, but still I don't get it why the heatsink is such a problem...maybe of his weight? still I have to try it again somehow, I can't afford to put back the default cooler. But now Im in a relief, after I removed the heatsink, the pc booted normaly. Thanks again Chino 🙂

username.sebi wrote:
Youre info was correct! thanks a lot man, but still I don't get it why the heatsink is such a problem...maybe of his weight? still I have to try it again somehow, I can't afford to put back the default cooler. But now Im in a relief, after I removed the heatsink, the pc booted normaly. Thanks again Chino 🙂

It has to do with the installation more than anything. I've used huge heatsinks like the Noctua NH-D15 without problems in the past. When mounting huge heatsinks, you need to be careful of what goes where and how tight the screws should be. Do a remount, mate.

I'm gonna wade in here before maybe/probably starting a thread on Q code FE to get a definitive answer as to what it really means.

My problem was a fresh build of a M7F + 4790 + 16GB ram. When I powered up I got no signals from the gfx and no beeps. Then I found the FE code under the power wires. The manual left me in despair as it stated the FE code is reserved for future use. I sadly gave up and went to bed. The next day I stumbled on a post about FE on another build and the guy suggested it was possibly due to incorrectly seated ram.

I reseated my ram using firm presssure making sure I heard a very audible click from both ends of the sticks, powered up and sure enough the system went straight to BIOS and I was so relieved.

Just mentioning this in case anyone comes along to your thread with a memory FE problem instead of a heat sink FE problem 🙂
ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO

NicMic
Level 7
It's kinda hard to see on the picture, but did you use every available hole for motherboard standoffs ? Looks like the one to the bottom right of the RAM slots for example does not have a screw.