cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Swap

alancastro24
Level 7
I noticed that my OS drive is detected as Disk1 and the second drive as Disk0. is it okay to just swap the drives so that my OS drive is Disk0?
8 REPLIES 8

gazzacbr
Level 10
i had a 240ssd and 1tb hard disk when i bought mine and the 1tb data one was disk 0 (in the middle bay) and the ssd os drive was in disk 1 (in the left side when you are lookin at the bottom with the cover off)

i doesnt make any difference really and will not be a problem if you swap them as i changed mine over.

i already had 2x500gb ssd's to change in and made sure that my os's disk (about 8 right now...) are on disk 0.
not sure why but i just seems like a 'good' thing to do and makes more sense when i mess about swapping and resizing with partitions etc.

worse case scenario is that is doesnt work and you change them back, 5 minute job.
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

hmscott
Level 12
alancastro24 wrote:
I noticed that my OS drive is detected as Disk1 and the second drive as Disk0. is it okay to just swap the drives so that my OS drive is Disk0?

alancastro24, if that is the way the drives came installed from Asus, then you can leave them as is without concern 🙂

If you moved them around on your own, and things are working fine, there is no reason to tempt fate and provide an opportunity for failure to be introduced by opening up your laptop, pulling the drives physically and moving them. There are several things that can help, including small pets and children, that would induce failure into the task 🙂

You could check with software tools to make sure both Bays are running SATA 6.0gb/sec, but even if Bay 1 is at 3gb/sec your HD is likely just fast enough to be happy on 3gb/sec without needing a bump to 6gb/sec.

When you get your SSD drive to replace your boot drive, that would be the time to make sure it is in the Bay with the fastest SATA connection, and you can do the disk swapping then.

In fact, you will want to use the Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive you made (16GB USB 3.0) to restore the Asus OS install to your new SSD, and you will want to pull the 2nd drive from your laptop and have it disconnected during the flash recovery process - otherwise it will get erased when you do the recovery to the SSD.

Timing is the key element to planning the drive swap 🙂

Let us know how it goes along the way!

Maxter wrote:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?50458-NOTE-G750-OS-Drive-on-motherboard-Port-0

Maxter wrote:
I noticed that on my JW, the original HDD came on bay "A". So when I installed my new SSD, I placed on bay A and the HDD for storage, on bay "B".
This morning, I went into BIOS for sh1ts and giggles and noticed that Bay "A" is labeled as Port 4 and Bay "B" ir Port 0. I switched the drives around and placed the SSD (OS Drive) on bay "B". Now the BIOS reads the OS Drive as in Port 0 of the MoBo. The computer runs twice as fast!
WTF?! Is this a problem for everyone? why did they install the main HDD on Port 4?

Check your model out and comment.

Cheers!

Maxter, thats pretty strange, I have run my JW with the OS drive, a new SSD, from the 2nd Bay with the huge increase in speed associated with an SSD, and didn't swap it back to the 1st Bay for a couple of weeks, and benchmarks were the same on both Bay's. My JH ran the 512GB SSD for a couple of months in the 2nd Bay - actually my JH only has 1 2.5" Bay, and it again ran as expected, fast.

My JH has the RAID0 SSD's on Port 2 and 4, and the 2.5" Bay is Port 0.

Here are my throughput benchmark results from CrystalDiskMark. I can't swap ports due to the form factor difference, Port 2/4 are both M.2 NGFF SSD sockets, and Port 0 is a 2.5":

RAID0 Port 2/4

512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD

Did you determine if there was a SATA interface difference, 6gb/sec vs 3gb/sec? Even so there wouldn't be a 2x performance difference, as laptop HD's are only barely at the 3gb/sec limit, moving to 6gb/sec interface might show a 10% increase in throughput.

When you said "The computer runs twice as fast!", what tests did you perform to verify that? Or was it a subjective feeling? What was twice as fast? Boot time, application loading time, disk throughput, fps?

Can you please run CrystalDiskMark in the current config on both drives, and then swap the drives back and run CrystalDiskMark again to compare the difference?

CrystalDiskMarkInstaller Direct Download
http://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskMarkInstaller-en
http://sourceforge.jp/projects/crystaldiskmark/

Main Site
http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en

Thanks for the heads up 🙂

alancastro24
Level 7
i just felt the need to swap them out to satisfy my OCD 🙂 but it works fine when i swapped them

Fast Boot off

Maxter
Level 9
I timed the windows restart. It's actually 7 seconds instead of 11 seconds on Bay 0.

Maxter wrote:
I timed the windows restart. It's actually 7 seconds instead of 11 seconds on Bay 0.

Maxter, too much variation in the boot timing, and too many contributing factors from Windows not associated with IO. I have seen differences of many seconds with no apparent changes. It isn't directly indicative of the IO performance.

Use a tool like CrystalDiskMark, or another IO measurement tool to measure actual throughput.