cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JM high temperature on CS:GO

Extrymas21
Level 7
Hello everyone. I bought this computer about 3-4 weeks ago and I am really satisfied with it, but one thing worries me. On Counter-Strike: Global Offensive I have 85-90C temperature, sometime it reaches 95C, while on all other games it almost never reach 80C. Even Battlefield 3 works at ~75C temperature. Computer standing on clean table, ~15inch from the wall. Maybe anyone noticed or knows something what should I check because I am not very good at computers.
11 REPLIES 11

kasperi
Level 7
How much is your fps in it? Have you tried to limit the fps into a decent number that would stop your pc from making performance peaks?

If you haven't changed it, you have max fps on 300. You could input a command like "net_graph 1" to your console to see how your fps is changing. Now, if your average fps would be 128, and it peaks highest in 150 or higher, and goes sometimes under 100, 128 would be a good place to limit your fps, so that your pc is not trying to charge your game too much, because these high peaks in fps doesn't really help the game run smooth, but rather laggy as it drops from 150 to > 100. You can limit it by "fps_max 128" for example.

CSGO is a tense game. Something worth trying also is to undervoltage your CPU and if you have overclockings, bring those a bit lower.

Extrymas21
Level 7
Thank you, I forgot to take my config file from other computer. I had no limit for frames per second on this computer. I will make it on 120fps. But still it is quite strange that games like Battlefield 3 almost never reach 80C, but CS: GO reaches 90C

FalconFX
Level 7
If you always have fps above 100 always, i would recommend setting it to 60fps, so that cool it even better and get rid of tearing 🙂

FalconFX wrote:
If you always have fps above 100 always, i would recommend setting it to 60fps, so that cool it even better and get rid of tearing 🙂

I prefer to use 120fps instead of 60fps because of smoothnes. 🙂

Extrymas21 wrote:
I prefer to use 120fps instead of 60fps because of smoothnes. 🙂

you really can't see the difference past 60 for games like csgo imo.

only time you'd really notice it is if your framerate was dipping for some reason, but if you limit to a constant 60, and you're always 60, it's the same smoothness past 60, most monitor refresh rates cap at 59-60 as well, meaning past 60 there's literally no difference.

Fizar wrote:

only time you'd really notice it is if your framerate was dipping for some reason, but if you limit to a constant 60, and you're always 60, it's the same smoothness past 60.

For those of us that can set our refresh rate higher than 60hz, we can see higher FPS, at 70hz I want to get at least 70fps, and at 100hz, you guessed it - 100fps.

But, if Extrymas21 is seeing a better image at higher than refresh rate fps, then he is likely seeing something - the timing of the frames and the refresh might not be in sync so to speak, and as the FPS rises new frames might be ready at higher fps than the same fps rate as refresh - unless you enable VSYNC.

Without VSYNC enabled, it is likely the visible / shown frames sequenced at a higher than refresh fps would improve the visual.

Extrymas21, if you are over heating your GPU in a particular game, it might be worth trying to lock the FPS with VSYNC; you could also try turning down some of the post-processing instead.

Fizar wrote:

only time you'd really notice it is if your framerate was dipping for some reason, but if you limit to a constant 60, and you're always 60, it's the same smoothness past 60, most monitor refresh rates cap at 59-60 as well, meaning past 60 there's literally no difference.

You are wrong little bit. It has difference. I don't want to write all book here what it changes, just set twice as much fpsmax from your monitor hz ant try to play especially with awp or scout. 🙂

hmscott wrote:
For those of us that can set our refresh rate higher than 60hz, we can see higher FPS, at 70hz I want to get at least 70fps, and at 100hz, you guessed it - 100fps.

But, if Extrymas21 is seeing a better image at higher than refresh rate fps, then he is likely seeing something - the timing of the frames and the refresh might not be in sync so to speak, and as the FPS rises new frames might be ready at higher fps than the same fps rate as refresh - unless you enable VSYNC.

Without VSYNC enabled, it is likely the visible / shown frames sequenced at a higher than refresh fps would improve the visual.

Extrymas21, if you are over heating your GPU in a particular game, it might be worth trying to lock the FPS with VSYNC; you could also try turning down some of the post-processing instead.

My gpu looks quite good. It did not reach 70C. But I think I will try to lower graphics that requires processor work. I remember that Counter Strike Source required quite strong CPU but not GPU if you want to play it on high graphics. Looks like it is same here. Thanks for the help.

Extrymas21 wrote:
...My gpu looks quite good. It did not reach 70C. But I think I will try to lower graphics that requires processor work. I remember that Counter Strike Source required quite strong CPU but not GPU if you want to play it on high graphics. Looks like it is same here. Thanks for the help.

Extrymas21, sorry, wasn't focused on your problem when I answered - was focused on the FPS > 60 issue 🙂

Kinda surprised the GPU is as high as 70c, I am assuming you set the Nvidia GPU for CS:GO?

The CPU heat problem with CS:GO is a long time known issue...

I would normally suggest you disable Hyper-threading, but we can't control the Hyper-threading setting in the G750 BIOS. The additional boost of Hyperthreading is minimal for many apps, but the additional heat generated is great - about 10c, so disabling Hyper-threading can help reduce heat generated by the CPU.

You can have a similar effect by using Processor Affinity and only Enable every other CPU Core. I enable Cores 0,2,4,6 - the disabled Cores are still powered on, but not used, and so there is some heat savings if disabled/not used.

For Steam we need to set Affinity on the Steam process first...

Then when you start a game from Steam, it inherits the Affinity setting.

I'm playing Metro Last light, so I can be ready when my Pre-load of Metro Last Light Redux is Playable 😉

Give it a try and check the CPU temps to see if it helped.

hmscott wrote:
Extrymas21, sorry, wasn't focused on your problem when I answered - was focused on the FPS > 60 issue 🙂

Kinda surprised the GPU is as high as 70c, I am assuming you set the Nvidia GPU for CS:GO?

The CPU heat problem with CS:GO is a long time known issue...

I would normally suggest you disable Hyper-threading, but we can't control the Hyper-threading setting in the G750 BIOS. The additional boost of Hyperthreading is minimal for many apps, but the additional heat generated is great - about 10c, so disabling Hyper-threading can help reduce heat generated by the CPU.

You can have a similar effect by using Processor Affinity and only Enable every other CPU Core. I enable Cores 0,2,4,6 - the disabled Cores are still powered on, but not used, and so there is some heat savings if disabled/not used.

For Steam we need to set Affinity on the Steam process first...

Then when you start a game from Steam, it inherits the Affinity setting.

I'm playing Metro Last light, so I can be ready when my Pre-load of Metro Last Light Redux is Playable 😉

Give it a try and check the CPU temps to see if it helped.

Looks like it helped. Now temperatures of cores are normal. Thank you very much!