cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 driver installation freeze maximus v forumla

bigballa765
Level 7
I have a problem when finished installing windows 8.1 I attempt to update the normal drivers graphics card chipset lan etc. Well when trying to update those drivers my computer will not install them and locks up leaving what ever image is present on the screen. I have to hard reset the computer to get it back up and running. I have tried several clean installs and the problem still persists. My hardware is Maximus V formula motherboard 16gb ram I7 3770k Samsung 840SSD. I am not sure what is going on never had the problem with windows 7 got frustrated with 8.1 as of now and have decided to just reinstall 7 so I can use my pc, but I want 8.1 my neighbor has it and it runs considerably better when it's actually working. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Also I'm currently running bios 1903 as well as installed the intel management service and updated the chipset. The problem is not with normal programs being installed it comes when it deals with hardware. I can't update my lan card it freezes on the update. I can't update my graphics driver from AMD I have a 7970 half way through the install it just freezes keeps what ever image is on screen until I hard reboot by holding the power button. I've been through about 20 fresh installs format repartition etc and the problem persists. I even thought of putting 7 back on and it froze on the lan install as well, but not the video driver, so I don't know what's going on. I removed the cpryto file as someone instructed from a google search elsewhere no luck wish someone new what to do, because I Just want to get back up and running.
21 REPLIES 21

Chino
Level 15
Please clear your CMOS and proceed to run Memtest86+ on your RAM. Make sure to let it finish 1 pass as a minimum. If you've never used that utility before, there is a guide linked in my signature.

Ok I'll try it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with my ram it shows all 16gb and when I go into the bios I'm able to set it at 1866 which is it's correct speed and nothing operates differently. Also have ran it at 1333 before freeze happens no matter which driver I install besides the audio that installed fine. It's lan and the graphics driver via amd website those freeze during installation, but I'll try the memtest just to rule things out. Highly doubt it though and I have tried clearing cmos before did nothing. Thanks

Chino wrote:
Please clear your CMOS and proceed to run Memtest86+ on your RAM. Make sure to let it finish 1 pass as a minimum. If you've never used that utility before, there is a guide linked in my signature.

I'm going to be honest I let it do what ever it did but I didn't understand a word it was doing, the results said failing address 000d073AF48 good d073AF8 bad C073AF48 Err-Bits 10000000 I have no clue what that means by the way how would that effect the drivers for my video from amd freezing or the lan card? It shows up fine 16gb in windows I"m able to change the speeds in bios etc if the ram was defective it would show signs? Has to be something else? Can you interpret those numbers I ran 3 tests I guess the program said.

bigballa765
Level 7
Ran windows memory tester and went to event viewer and it says that I have a memory problem. I have the memory on the two red slots all information shows up 16gb etc so how could they not be operating right or defective? And most importantly how does that cause windows to freeze during driver installs? I'm confused I have crucial ballistx 16gb 1866 memory btw

Chino
Level 15
If errors show up during the test, it means your RAM is defective. Defective RAM can affect system stability and driver install. RMA your kit to Crucial.

Chino wrote:
If errors show up during the test, it means your RAM is defective. Defective RAM can affect system stability and driver install. RMA your kit to Crucial.

It just very weird had to RMA my motherboard for the 3rd time recently got it back found out my processor was defective got a new one from Intel now according to your information and windows mem test my ram is defective. SMH either I'm having bad luck or the motherboard is damaging my components as crazy as that sounds. What I'm going to do since the RMA department for crucial is closed is start the pc with one stick run windows mem test see which one is damaged. BTW I have the memory in the red slots if that matters. Thanks for the help if the memory rma doesn't fix the driver freeze problem then what other causes could it be if you don't mind hypothesizing with me thanks.

Chino wrote:

Going to do so, but as I stated the system still freezes on install of vga driver from amd and lan driver from intel. Switched out ram ran windows test no errors on one stick still freezes

bigballa765
Level 7
Ran the test with one stick in no errors found and decided to try to install vga driver for the heck of it to see what would happened still froze on the portion of the installation with the hdmi audio driver I'm going to unselect that and see what I discover. So one stick of my ram may be defective, but this other one is not finding in memory error as far as windows goes and the freeze on the driver still persists any other ideas??

bigballa765
Level 7
Nope leaving the hdmi driver out still froze the system during install at my wits end frustrating to say the least.