cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corsshair V upgrade advice

Blackmetal1
Level 7
Hello, I was looking for some help on my system. Most games I have been playing my FPS are around 30fps or so. I was wondering If i was to upgrade something to boost my FPS.

-ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX
-AMD FX 8150 Eight-Core 3.8HGz
-XFX Double D HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 (x2)
-G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
-Windows 7 64bit
-Air cooled system

I did pick up a set of G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866, but have not installed it yet.

How is this set up, and can It use any improvement. Would it benefit to install a SSD to run windows off? I'm not super proficient in overclocking, just have used MSI Afterburner and AMD OverDrive.
Thanks for any advice
7 REPLIES 7

kkn
Level 14
graphic card.

Chino
Level 15
Can you list the exact model of your PSU for me? Also list what resolution you play at. With those specs, you should have no problem running modern games over 30FPS.

I've been using for a few years now: Rosewill RP550-2 550W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply
Screen Resolution at 1920x1080
Game quality setting one or two steps below highest setting

Chino
Level 15
The best upgrade would be a GPU. If you can wait a few months, NVIDIA and AMD are coming out with some new offerings. And I'd replace your PSU. With a HD6950 CrossFireX you're already pushing it, it probably has degraded over time as well.

Blackmetal1
Level 7
Thanks for the advice. Any recommended GPUs? Also, what wattage PSU should I be shooting for?

Chino
Level 15

I would be going through Newegg. Probably max price on a PSU would be $200. would someting like this be good?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182084
Or should I go for more wattage.
And on GPUs, not sure what I should spend. Something in the range of $300-$400 would be ok. Was looking at some XFX cards.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150690
I don't want to go too crazy, but also want to get good results with my upgraded parts. I don't want to get new GPUs and have it be a mild upgrade or side grade 😛
I was thinking about upgrading my PSU regardless.