cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New twist on double boot

tpich
Level 7
I understand the double boot is normal behavior after a cold boot or bios settings changes. My issue is windows starts to load on the first boot cycle, then the system reboots and on the second boot I get the windows failed to launch screen and it wants to do a system repair. How do I keep windows from loading that first boot so I don't get the error?

Thanks.

Maximus Hero vii v1104
i7 4790k @ default
16gb RAM @1333
Windows 7 Pro SP1
12 REPLIES 12

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Did you update to the latest BIOS recently? If so, which method did you use?

BIOS is 1104 via EZFlash2.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
That is not the double boot in BIOS. Cold boot double boot happens immediately after switching power on..the board shuts down resets and powers up and boot continues as normal.You have some issue with OS/driver/storage...Try the system repair or do a clean install if it's easy enough...can you safe boot?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
That is not the double boot in BIOS. Cold boot double boot happens immediately after switching power on..the board shuts down resets and powers up and boot continues as normal.You have some issue with OS/driver/storage...Try the system repair or do a clean install if it's easy enough...can you safe boot?

I should have stated in the original post, Windows is working fine once I'm booted up. The first time I got the system repair screen I did do a system repair which didn't seem to help. The machine boots into Windows fine if I leave the PSU on after shutdown or I haven't made any changes to BIOS settings.

It seems to me that Windows is starting to load before that second boot from a cold boot. Which I don't think is supposed to happen. I'm getting the Windows splash screen before the machine resets.

Thanks.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm well if I were you I would flash the BIOS BIOS Flashback method. Download a fresh BIOS file and flash that.If that doesn't resolve the issue, if you can get to windows try safe boot and see if it still happens or try using restore point to a point in time when this wasn't happening...but if it coincides with BIOS flash I would try to make sure you have a clean BIOS flash first.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hmm well if I were you I would flash the BIOS BIOS Flashback method. Download a fresh BIOS file and flash that.If that doesn't resolve the issue, if you can get to windows try safe boot and see if it still happens or try using restore point to a point in time when this wasn't happening...but if it coincides with BIOS flash I would try to make sure you have a clean BIOS flash first.

Updating the BIOS via Flashback method seems to have fixed the issue for me. The first couple of restarts didn't go so well. System was hanging at the BIOS screen. After I went into the BIOS and loaded the optimized default settings, it seems to be booting properly now.

Thanks!

MatsGlobetrotte
Level 10
I get some similar boot issues on my formula vi in certain scenarios. So far i have found that if my OS is on my pcie with UEFI and i reboot with a flashdiskor hd in the usb ports then it will double boot and try to either repair windows or go back in bios. This despite that i have not selected any usb as a boot disk. Only way for me to start the machine is then to disconnect all usb disks.
It started with a VIC-20... and now it is. Maximus Formula VI Intel 4770K 4.6GHz ASUS GTX780Ti 3GB Corsair Platinum Dominator 16GB 2400MHz Raid Express 240GB Samsung EVO 512 GB SSD Corsair 900D EK watercooling Corsair RM1000 ASUS PB278Q

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK, cool beans...good to hear...hope that has fixed it...keep an eye on it

Have you set up XMP for your RAM? maybe take a look at chino's guide

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39185-Memory-Setup-Guide-For-Maximus

Motherboard defaults will run RAM at 1333...XMP will run it at rated speed and timings if different from 1333...

I spoke too soon. I'm still having the same issue. It did boot a couple of times from a cold state just fine. Not sure what happened as I never made any changes.

I'm now doing a clean install of Windows to see if that will resolve this.

I haven't tried any of the XMP settings yet as I'm just trying to get the machine to boot consistently for now.

Thanks.