cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VX-BH17N11 Bus Speed incorrect

xXxLoliHunterxX
Level 9
Just recently upgraded from my old G51VX to a G75VX. The laptop is used, but has absolutely no issues.

The laptop has already been updated to the latest bios version 206 by the last owner, and for some reason the bios seems to have a strangly set up bus speed. Under full load, I cannot reach the rated 3.4 GHz turbo boost frequency as the bus speed is lower than 100, it sits around 97.5. The bios is not unlocked and has no options that I can change to fix this. I also tried to re-flash the bios back to a fresh copy of 206 from the website, but the bios easy flash utility from the bios will not allow me to flash a current or old version.

It's not really a problem, but annoying none the less. Any ideas?

Screenshot is included of CPU-Z with AIDA64 stress running.

http://1drv.ms/1pfcOv6
6 REPLIES 6

Clintlgm
Level 14
If you have the original BIOS still in the root of your C:\, you can Ctl + Home on reboot, Hold them down until Ezflash starts, this will bring you back the original BOIS.

You can also put a a BIOS on your Root Drive, I don't remember exactly but you need to rename it too G75VS.BIN and use the same Ctl + Home way of installing it. Search these threads for How to Down Grade BIOS for the exact procedure.

Here I found the procedure on page 6 of Rewben Sticky Thread Post 8 # 3
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

xXxLoliHunterxX
Level 9
Following the link from the previous post, I was able to downgrade my bios the original 203 version with no issue. However the bus speed has remained the same. I also made sure to go into the bios and restore defaults and save, but still no change.

For now I am gonna give up and continue research into what may be causing the problem.

xXxLoliHunterxXx wrote:
Following the link from the previous post, I was able to downgrade my bios the original 203 version with no issue. However the bus speed has remained the same. I also made sure to go into the bios and restore defaults and save, but still no change.

For now I am gonna give up and continue research into what may be causing the problem.

What do you mean by bus speed? This is what a VW looks like your shouldn't be much differnt

G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

xXxLoliHunterxX
Level 9
The bus speeds affects the overall cpu speed. Normally, on Ivy and Haswell (sandy bridge too I think), it is set to 100 MHz. You then take your multiplier, which with my i7 under full load with turbo boost, would normal be 32, to make the processor hit 3.2 GHz under full load. The problem with my laptop is the bus speed is fixed at about 97.5 MHz. So, not only will my CPU only hit about 3.152 MHz. My ram is also affected, it always runs at around 785 MHz instead of 800.

This problem can usually be fixed on Asus motherboards in desktops by going into the bios and manually setting the bus speed to 100 MHz. Of course laptops do not have this option changeable and it is usually always fixed in the bios.

For comparison, here is the same screenshot from my system. Just downloaded HWINFO64 to show you what I am talking about. The bus varies randomly, but you can see in the left pane that the bus is supposed to be set to 100 MHz in every instance, but the CPU status always shows a bit lower.

xXxLoliHunterxXx wrote:
The bus speeds affects the overall cpu speed. Normally, on Ivy and Haswell (sandy bridge too I think), it is set to 100 MHz. You then take your multiplier, which with my i7 under full load with turbo boost, would normal be 32, to make the processor hit 3.2 GHz under full load. The problem with my laptop is the bus speed is fixed at about 97.5 MHz. So, not only will my CPU only hit about 3.152 MHz. My ram is also affected, it always runs at around 785 MHz instead of 800.

This problem can usually be fixed on Asus motherboards in desktops by going into the bios and manually setting the bus speed to 100 MHz. Of course laptops do not have this option changeable and it is usually always fixed in the bios.

For comparison, here is the same screenshot from my system. Just downloaded HWINFO64 to show you what I am talking about. The bus varies randomly, but you can see in the left pane that the bus is supposed to be set to 100 MHz in every instance, but the CPU status always shows a bit lower.

Well this is way over my skill level. I just put my CPU at 100% with Burn In Test and let them both for about 5 minutes. took the same shot. I'm getting just under max Turbo. Max Turbo only reacts on one core at a time. If you run the Intel turbo gadget you will see the individual cores reach max turbo. Perhaps one of the more skilled people will jump in with a better explanation.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

xXxLoliHunterxX
Level 9
I was able to fix the problem. I noticed that under power options, some settings were missing. I was unable to set the processor % usage for any profile. I think the culprit might have been Power4Gear, as I used to have issues on my old G51VX with that. I did try re-updating the latest bios version 206 to see if it might fix it again, but still the same as before.

Only solution was to do a clean windows install, but right after finishing the install, I set the power profile to high performance, installed HWINFO64, then checked the frequency. Now the bus speed is running at 100 MHz now!

The previous original owner of this G75VX must have tried to use some overclocking software or tweaks, which in turned messed things up. Now I am getting a full 3.4 GHz turbo boost, instead of 3.15 or so! An extra 250 MHz isn't much, but it was annoying to not get what the processor was rated for.