cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximux V Extreme Cmos battery

xartonis
Level 7
Hi guys,

Would a faulty or dying CMOS battery prevent the computer to boot or cause the computer become instable?? because I kind of refuse to think the mainboard is defective.

story:
Few days ago I was trying to find the solution to my problem without any success so far.
When I was running diablo 3 the computer shuts down itself without any warning, no BSOD.
The lights on the mainboard are still on like the computer isnt turned on and if i press the POWER ON button nothing happens. The computer would only boot if I plug off the cable to the PSU for some minutes. The computer IS NOT overclocked and the temps of CPU and GPU never exceed over 65C. All drivers are up-to-date. I reinstalled the OS today but the problem still persists. :mad:

In Event-Viewer in Windows 7 i got this message:
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." Event 41, Kernel-Power (Task Category 63)

However if I am not running graphic intensive programs, i.e. surfing, processing word documents or watching movies on the computer performs as it should without problems.

PC spec:
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz 39 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS V EXTREME (LGA1155) 35 °C
Graphics
DELL U2412M (1920x1200@60Hz)
Intel Standard VGA Graphics Adapter (ASUStek Computer Inc)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (MSI) 37 °C
Storage
119GB PLEXTOR PX-128M5P ATA Device (SSD)
1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 ATA Device (SATA) 35 °C
Optical Drives
PIONEER BD-RW BDR-207M ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Power Supply
Seasonic Platinum-860

Thanks in advance!
7 REPLIES 7

xartonis
Level 7
update:

The computer wouldnt start after a rgular shutdown. It starts only I have unplugged the PSU..... O_o

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi xartonis, A faulty, dead or dying CMOS battery may not allow boot, but once you have booted to Windows, this would not have an effect on stability. If you are unsure then replace for around $4.0

Unexpected sudden shut downs can be caused by a myriad of different issues, so we have to start somewhere.

I would first check your power supply, Have it tested properly and carefully inspect your MB for any unusual signs of burnt electronics. Use your nose too. (No joke) Inspect all cables are serviceable and connected properly. Check for excessive dust collecting in places and remove.

Once your PSU is determined to not be the culprit then we can look at and test other things.

Hope this helps and please report back.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah, with that kind of sudden out I would substitute the PSU just to make sure...if you can...though seeing that Seasonic I'm conflicted lol...normally they don't cause problems but I guess even Seasonic can produce a lemon...Have you cleared CMOS and set up XMP again...that kind of thing...

xartonis
Level 7
First of all Thanks for your prompt answer and input MeanMachine!

update:
1. I have replaced my CMOS battery on my MVE and although the PC still needs to be unplugged to boot (which still worries me a little bit). However, the problem seems to be solved . I didn`t experience any sudden shutdown today. According to some information a faulty/dying CMOS battery can indeed result in sudden shut downs. At least this seems to apply to MVE board despite most of the information says it cannot cause any shut downs once you have successfully booted to windows.
(source: http://www.domstechblog.com/signs-of-cmos-battery-failure/)

2. I also inspected my MB for unusual signs or even used my nose, but luckily nothing was burnt or damaged!

3. I have found an interesting post about Seasonic Powersupply:
"I've actually ssen similar issues on SS-***XP series PSUs, and it seems there's a protections/housekeeping IC fault at work here. Seasonic used Silicon Touch Tech's PS232F, paired up with a National Electronics LM393 dual voltage comparator. The SS-1000XP is internally configured as a quad-rail PSU, though the OCP is set quite high, at over 40A. It appears that a fault develops in some rare cases (or rather PSUs), where OCP trips and stays in effect until the PSU is fully power-cycled. This is because the protections IC is powered from the 5VSB, meaning it stays in it's active protection state. Why this happens, I cannot rightly say, as I haven't had the pleasure of low-level troubleshooting a Platinum 1000..."
(source: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/seasonic-1000w-platinum-fault.194414/

Thanks again MeanMachine!!!
Regards
Xartoniss

xartonis
Level 7
will keep on monitoring my PC, it seems that $4.00 has more or less solved the issue....

xartonis wrote:
will keep on monitoring my PC, it seems that $4.00 has more or less solved the issue....

Well I'm glad you have it sorted somewhat xartonis and thank you for your interesting and most comprehensive feedback.

I hope you don't have RMA issues as the guy in that techpowerup forum had, if indeed you have to RMA.:D
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]