cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will not post after reboot and get Q code 00 plus Q LED CPU_LED solid red

desiwhelan
Level 7
New rig:
Maximus VI Gene MB with latest BIOS 1505.
Core i7
Seidon 120M liquid cooler
GTX 760 video
Corsair HX1050 Power
Corsair DDR3 8G
SSD 50GB
3TB SATA

1. Powering on, fans run for few seconds, I get some Q codes and then system powers off. Then few seconds later, system powers on again and posts.
2. Can enter BIOS settings and exit and system will boot. However if i change any setting and save, then system will not post and I get results as in #4 (Q Code 00 and CPU_LED solid red ).
3. If I exit BIOS or let the system boot, then system boots to windows 7 from SSD
4. Restart Windows and system shutsdown but will not post. Get Q code 00 and CPU_LED solid red.

Reading through forums, I have checked pins and everything looks ok. Have removed and reattached heatsink but same issue. Have updated BIOS to latest. Have disconnected disk drives and still see issue when saving BIOS settings.

Is most likely culprit the MB or the i7 ?
4 REPLIES 4

jab383
Level 13
Which model of core i7? Please include the letter at the end of the number, eg. 4771 or 4790K. The symptom sounds a little like what can happen to a Maximus VI without the complete update for Haswell refresh. What update procedure did you do to get to BIOS 1505? Jeff

Hi Jeff - Thank you for responding. This is my first time putting together a DIY system. It is an i7 4790K.
I booted from a FreeDOS formatted USB stick and ran the bupdater utility.

If this is not the correct procedure then let me know i.e. from what I gather in the forum, I need to use the BIOS Flashback utility and not have the i7 in the socket when I do this.

Desi.

Chino
Level 15
Please locate the long and thin sticker on your motherboard. It contains a barcode and a long list of numbers. Post the last 4 digits here for me please.

Hi All - After I used the BIOS Flashback utility and then reinserted the i7, it now works.

Thanks for steering me to the correct procedure.

Desi.