cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build Maximus VII Hero and 4790k - need help!

cranium1
Level 7
Hey guys, I started a new build with Maximus VII Hero and the 4790k CPU.

After complete assembly I tried to power on the system but it woldn't work - no Qcode, only the red LEDs on the mobo and the start and reset button would light up. So I took everything out and tried booting with just the mobo, CPU+stock fan and the 24 pin mobo and 8 pin CPU power connectors.

I still got the same results though sometimes I would get the 00 QCode. I pressed the clear CMOS button once and since then I am not getting any Qcodes anymore. I am afraid my mobo is dead... The case I first used was Corsaid 760T.

Not sure what to do now- can't be sure if it's a mobo problem. The lat 4 digits of the serial number on the box are 0331- not sure if that's my BIOS number. I tried updating the BIOS as per instructions in the ASUS site but not sure if I succeeded. Out of ideas now.
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
Please remove everything from your motherboard. Put it on top of the cardboard box that came with it. Now, I want you to inspect the CPU socket carefully for any bent or missing pins. Take your time.

cranium1
Level 7
Well, I found 3 bent pins. Will try to straighten them out.

So I looked carefully and 2 of the pins appear fine. I am not sure about the third pin, it looks..shorter.

Anyway, i changed the CPU power to another port in my modular PSU (Corsair AX860) and now I am getting the Qcode 00 again and CPU fan is spinning. However, sill no LEDs (next to the 24 pin on the mobo) light up. I get the exact same result with or without the 8 pin CPU power plugged in.

Nate152
Hello cranium1

This is not a good situation. It seems you damaged the pins when installing the cpu. The only thing you can do is try straightening out the pins like you did. If no luck, you can take it to a jeweler and see if he can straighten them for you.

Unfortunately the warranty is not covered if the socket pins are damaged.

I've seen people here straighten out socket pins with success. A good eye and a steady hand are key. A small thin blade pocket knife is usually the best tool for this.

cranium1
Level 7
Thanks for the help guys, I thought I would post an update here.

So I went to the retailer I bought the mobo from and the Asus service centre was also conveniently next door. They told me the issue was with the pins. I gave them the mobo to look at and meanwhile bought a new one. My system has been running fine since with the new mobo and both the CPU and GPU (Asus Matrix Platinum 780 Ti) are running great.

I should mention though that during my original installation, I had also installed the ROG front OC panel. On powering on, I had noticed smoke coming from the ROG front panel !! I immediately shut the system off and disconnected the front panel. I found some burnt capacitors on the front panel and I am wondering what to do with it next. Not sure if it could have caused my mobo to fry or the mobo caused the front panel to fry but I am REALLY happy the CPU and GPU are fine.

This is probably not the right section on the forum but any idea what to do with the front panel? I imported it from the US and the postage and import duty are just too high in India for me to return it back.