cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Formula Machine check error

SRG_blackburn
Level 7
Hey Guys,

I am getting a Machine check error bsod loop when trying to load into windows 8.1. I did not change anything the night before. I shutdown my pc and the next morning it started to do a auto repair loop with a bsod. I tried using my repair usb and same issue of bsod machine check error which means i cant reinstall windows 8. I hope it is not my processor gone bad. I tried using default bios settings. Could it be a bad psu? i have been having the pc have issues sometimes trying to power up and it acts like the power went out then works fine. could it be the psu cant handle the system? Gaming works fine. Ive had this new system for a little over 5-6months. Any help please!? I am lost on how to fix this.

Specs:
4770K overclocked to 4.5ghz
1.4 v core
16gb trident ram 1.65v
sli gtx 570
AX850 PSU
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15
I see that your system is overclocked. Clear your CMOS and then proceed to load the optimized defaults in your BIOS to bring your system back to stock settings.

Are you able to load Windows now?

Chino wrote:
I see that your system is overclocked. Clear your CMOS and then proceed to load the optimized defaults in your BIOS to bring your system back to stock settings.

Are you able to load Windows now?

I cleared my CMOS still bsod even on loading of the usb install. I removed both rams sticks and only using one yet still same issue. Today after work I removed the CPU, delid it again and cleaned the inside, apply fresh CLP and paste on the waterblock. I checked for bend pins and reseated the CPU. Still no luck 😕

I tried using Ubuntu and it gave me a proper error of processor context corrupt so I set the cores down to just 3, disabled turbo, fast boot, secure boot, Hyper-threading, and enabled Intel virtualization and it booted just fine into Ubuntu. Same goes for Windows 8 usb. Wish i didn't format the SSD in my panic to fix my machine thinking my SSD just froze. At least my data is on a separate HDD.

Sorry for these long post. I want to make sure i am detailed so the process is easy for both me and others in helping me solve this weird, annoying issue. I don't have the money atm to shell out for a new processor which im thinking is the issue. Never was a strong one to being with. Overclocking was horrible with this CPU.

I will try slowly setting things back to default till find out if it was all of the settings that fixed it or just the fact that i disabled the one bad core on the CPU.

Nate152
What cpu cooler are you using?

That type of message is usually due to one of your components overheating.

SRG_blackburn
Level 7
So I got my system back up and running for now...Looks like the fourth core was the issue and disabling it my pc back up and running..for now. I guess this is my excuse to go buy a new 4790k when I have the funds. It baffles me that the core died. First time that happened to me. I wasn't running crazy overclock or anything 4.6ghz for a while then I bumped it down to 4.5 cause of stability and for the long run. I guess I just had a bad batch and the overclock killed the weak link.

NemesisChild
Level 12
If it's a bad core, you might try a warranty RMA through Intel.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
If it's a bad core, you might try a warranty RMA through Intel.

if only I had not delid my processor I would love too. Lol sucks for me but its working fine at the moment. Ive been gaming just fine and surfing which is all I need after a long day at work. When I have the funds I will fix it but for now meh. Not having a computer to help me unwind after work is not fun...