cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My machine is crashing (black screen) losing connection to monitor

Steve069
Level 7
Video is occasionally crashing to black screen (monitor loses connectivity and goes blank). PC is still running like normal while it happens (it is not powering off). A hard reset fixes the issue until it happens again.
This problem has been happening for the last 2 months intermittently and I am having a heck of a time diagnosing what is causing it.

I have tried:
1)Video driver uninstall, re-install (With DDU in safe mode)
2)Video driver uninstall, re-install with beta drivers (With DDU in safe mode)
3)Switching around my power supply modular connectors to different parts of the rail(s) (no difference)
4)Switching HDMI 1 or 2 connector on monitor (no difference)
5)Bios Update, video card firmware update (no difference)
6)Reverted back to stock clocking (no difference) Only CPU, GPU has never been overclocked as it was fast as hell.
6)Changed PCiX position on the motherboard (at this time, has not black screened yet...been almost a day)

The problem does not always happen within a few hours. Sometimes it will work fine for 3-5 days with no issues, then one day it will black screen every 15 minutes like it is its job, requiring a hard restart every time. Troubleshooting has been a nightmare. The problem almost always happens while simply reading an article or cruising youtube, it has never locked up while gaming (Metro Redux, Battlefield 4, etc at the moment).

-The last thing I have changed with my system-
The machine has run fine for 2 years with 0 issues. I installed a new Asus 290X DirectCU II 4GB in March/April of 14.
It ran fine up until recently and problems only started happening in August of 14.
I contacted Corsair thinking it was a PSU problem but they are directing me more towards a GPU or MOBO issue.
They offered me and RMA but I am trying to diagnose whether or not its the culprit
Asus tech support told me to try an RMA on the video card and we started a case #NA4103051

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to figure out what exactly is screwing up and making my machine black screen? I have been building computers since 1999 and have never ran across an issue like this before.
I do not want to start RMAing stuff that might be OK.

Any ideas?

Specs:

Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
Processor AMD FX-8350@4.82ghz
Memory OCZ AMD Black Edition 8GB (OCZ3BE1600C8LV4GK)
Video Card ASUS Radeon R9 290X DirectCU II 4GB
Hard Drive # 1 Samsung 840 PRO SSD 256GB
Hard Drive # 2 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Optical Drive # 1 LiteOn iHBS212
Power Supply Corsair 1000HX
Case Corsair Graphite 600T
Sound Card Asus Xonar DX
Monitor LG W2486 24" LED LCD
Operating System Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
7 REPLIES 7

cbjaust
Level 7
Firstly everyone is going to ask you to make sure you've plugged in all of the power connectors (8-pin EATX12V_1, 4-pin EATX12V_2 and 4-pin EZ_PLUG).

Secondly take a look in the event viewer (start>run>eventvwr.msc) and see if there are any useful messages that could give you a clue.
MAIN AMD FX-8350 @ 4.78GHz | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | 16GB G.Skill TridentX | Radeon HD7970 3GB
SERVER/HTPC AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.4GHz | DFI DK 790FXB-M2RSH | 8GB | Radeon HD5670

hax0rmort
Level 11
have you ever considered reinstalling windows? maybe you messed up some important files somewhere. it has been running for two years. kinda was in the same boat after i installed a piece of software, when my system would sleep, the monitors would never come back on. I even went so far as to stop it from sleeping (always on) and when the screen would blank, all the icons would shift to the right side of the middle monitor. weird.

reinstalling windows 8.1 worked and fixed everything. just an idea if hardware leads you nowhere.
-hax0rmort

MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370
RAM - AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz
SSD1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Boot
SSD2 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Game
GPU1 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
GPU2 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
COOLER - Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W Gold PSU
AUDIO - Creative Sound Blaster Z
CASE - NZXT H440 Red/Black
KEYBOARD - Corsair K95 RGB
MOUSE - SteelSeries Sensei
HEADSET - Logitech G430

Steve069
Level 7
Reinstalling is something i was trying to avoid...

Asus told me to RMA the card so I did. Got it back, installed the latest drivers & firmware and it does the same exact thing like before.
It is also my same card that was sent back and on the invoice it doesnt explain what they did at all.
Nice service. I emailed tech support and now they want me to call some 1800 number.

sectionate
Level 12
Change out the power cables for the monitor/psu
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

dertester
Level 7
Have you tried to undo your overclock first?

Try cbjaust´s good tip!

I would stress cpu/gpu seperately and always monitor voltages with hwmon (worstcase) or directly from the same lines at the PSU.

Steve069
Level 7
Asus sent me a replacement card today.

Low and behold its a refurb from a previous owner and it wont even post.
Put my other one back in to make sure i was not going out of my mind but at least that one turns on.

What a horrid experience this is becoming.