cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Swift and Nvidia 344.16 Displayport issue

thewoogier
Level 7
I just got my ROG Swift in today, plugged it up, and nothing. "No Signal"

I have 2 970's in SLI, driver 344.16, I tried disabling SLI and every combination of plugging, replugging, and power cycling. Nothing works. I find exactly ONE post on geforce forums that describes my issue anywhere on the internet. https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/777412/geforce-drivers/black-screen-on-windows-login-344-16...

Basically if you plug the monitor in after you boot up with a second monitor via HDMI, you can see it in Nvidia control panel and it registers but you can't enable it. I'm wondering how I specifically have this problem and no one else has yet other than this one forum post? Has anyone been able to figure out a workaround or something, I'm really upset that I finally get the ROG Swift in and I can't even test it out because of this BS.
24 REPLIES 24

pennyboy
Level 9
Can you confirm you are using the supplied Display port cable? the other suggestion would be to try the monitor on another PC with display port and see if it works. Unfortunately the monitor may be DOA or the video cards display port adapter may be dead?

Just read through that forum link, there does seem to be compatibility issues with 900 series? but I would be checking the monitor on another PC first to confirm its not DOA.

I'm using everything straight out of the box, the cable came with the monitor. Unfortunately there is no way to test on a different system, I only have my current system to use. When I plug the monitor in I get the splash screen and such so the screen works and all, I just wish there was a way to test the cable and card without buying a new one of each.

I guess I could at the very least switch out my primary 970 with the secondary one, but it is kinda of eerie how accurate those accounts are. Some are literally the exact same thing as I have except different monitors in some cases. I'm guessing maybe there aren't a lot of people that use displayport with the 900 series if there is only one forum post on it. How frustrating -_-

pennyboy
Level 9
I doubt it would be the cable. but I guess you won't know until you try another one? I would try switching my cards around it would be worth a try. You are right most people will be running DVI still because they don't need the bandwidth the Swift does as its running at 2560x1440 and 144hz and display port is capable of delivering that whereas DVI and HDMI aren't. The 980 should have no problems with this monitor, It may pay to log a ticket with ASUS support?

pennyboy wrote:
I doubt it would be the cable. but I guess you won't know until you try another one? I would try switching my cards around it would be worth a try. You are right most people will be running DVI still because they don't need the bandwidth the Swift does as its running at 2560x1440 and 144hz and display port is capable of delivering that whereas DVI and HDMI aren't. The 980 should have no problems with this monitor, It may pay to log a ticket with ASUS support?

Ok so I'm back and I've tried a few things:
- I've taken out both video cards and swapped them using only one at a time and I get the exact same issue.
- I've tried plugging in via display port at different times.
- I've tried turning the monitor off then booting up then waiting 30 seconds then turning it on (as found in a forum post).
- I went out and bought an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter from Best Buy and plugged in the adapter to the monitor then used the HDMI cable that works on my secondary screen.
- I've plugged my old monitor in via HDMI, booted successfully, then swapped the HDMI to the adapter plugged into the new monitor.
- I've booted with the old monitor plugged in then plugged in the PG278Q using DisplayPort.

And I literally cannot think of what else to try. I've downloaded the WHQL from the ASUS download site and installed it. The only time I can even mess around with it is if I boot with my old monitor then plug in the PG278Q afterwards with DisplayPort. I can then see it, Nvidia recognizes it as a Gsync monitor and asks me if I want to turn it on. I can go to the Nvidia control panel and in the "Setup Multiple Displays" tab I can see the Swift. However if I attempt to enable it by checking it doesn't check it. I can't interact with it at all. Here's a screenshot.

I have tried every which way to interact with it in the windows desktop setting as well, it actually shows up, but I can't do anything to enable it, extend to it, duplicate it, or set it as my primary monitor.

I get the same message every time I try to do something with it from that screen.

This is an imgur album of the screenshots for whatever https://imgur.com/a/aqkzS

thewoogier wrote:
Ok so I'm back and I've tried a few things:
- I've taken out both video cards and swapped them using only one at a time and I get the exact same issue.
- I've tried plugging in via display port at different times.
- I've tried turning the monitor off then booting up then waiting 30 seconds then turning it on (as found in a forum post).
- I went out and bought an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter from Best Buy and plugged in the adapter to the monitor then used the HDMI cable that works on my secondary screen.
- I've plugged my old monitor in via HDMI, booted successfully, then swapped the HDMI to the adapter plugged into the new monitor.
- I've booted with the old monitor plugged in then plugged in the PG278Q using DisplayPort.

And I literally cannot think of what else to try. I've downloaded the WHQL from the ASUS download site and installed it. The only time I can even mess around with it is if I boot with my old monitor then plug in the PG278Q afterwards with DisplayPort. I can then see it, Nvidia recognizes it as a Gsync monitor and asks me if I want to turn it on. I can go to the Nvidia control panel and in the "Setup Multiple Displays" tab I can see the Swift. However if I attempt to enable it by checking it doesn't check it. I can't interact with it at all. Here's a screenshot.

I have tried every which way to interact with it in the windows desktop setting as well, it actually shows up, but I can't do anything to enable it, extend to it, duplicate it, or set it as my primary monitor.

I get the same message every time I try to do something with it from that screen.

This is an imgur album of the screenshots for whatever https://imgur.com/a/aqkzS

It does appear to be a monitor issue, I really do think you have a faulty monitor. You could try and take the monitor down to a local computer shop and ask them if you could plug it into on of their PCs and see what happens. You have literally tried everything else and it should just work. Mine was just recognised from the get go and I had to do nothing apart from set it to 144hz in the forceware panel, even G-sync automatically was recognised and enabled for me. You would not have two cards with faulty display ports, so at this point I would try and take it into a shop or send it back for RMA and they can fully test it. Did you buy it from New Egg? sorry although I have lived in the USA for a brief period I never had to RMA anything there so not sure what the processes are or how they differ from New Zealand?
My first ROG Swift had a dead pixel with a bright patch around it, so just sent it back and the guys at the store verified the fault and then processed the RMA via ASUS... although I had to wait a couple of weeks for more stock to come in. The replacement SWIFT monitor arrived just this week and she is all good.
This monitor should just work mate, so I am of the opinion that unfortunately it must be DOA 😞

pennyboy wrote:
It does appear to be a monitor issue, I really do think you have a faulty monitor. You could try and take the monitor down to a local computer shop and ask them if you could plug it into on of their PCs and see what happens. You have literally tried everything else and it should just work. Mine was just recognised from the get go and I had to do nothing apart from set it to 144hz in the forceware panel, even G-sync automatically was recognised and enabled for me. You would not have two cards with faulty display ports, so at this point I would try and take it into a shop or send it back for RMA and they can fully test it. Did you buy it from New Egg? sorry although I have lived in the USA for a brief period I never had to RMA anything there so not sure what the processes are or how they differ from New Zealand?
My first ROG Swift had a dead pixel with a bright patch around it, so just sent it back and the guys at the store verified the fault and then processed the RMA via ASUS... although I had to wait a couple of weeks for more stock to come in. The replacement SWIFT monitor arrived just this week and she is all good.
This monitor should just work mate, so I am of the opinion that unfortunately it must be DOA 😞

The plug doesn't seem to be broken in any way or anything.

My main line of thinking is that it's specific to the newest drivers with the 900 series cards. Just curious, what GPU do you have?

I got my ROG Swift a couple nights ago. Well last night I had a similar issue, but my monitor worked straight out of the box with dual monitors w/dual link dvi and displayport. My 970's were working wonderfully. Well last night I had some windows 8.1 updates I needed to do, and when my computer restarted my ROG Swift was having the exact same issue. My monitor was not detected and when I tried to enable it in Nvidia Control Panel, it would not work. I tried searching for a work around and found none.

Well, what ended up working was unplugging my main monitor (in dual link dvi) while my displayport was still plugged into my ROG Swift. This turned my ROG Swift on properly, then I was able to make it my main display and plugged then dual link dvi into the second slot on my 970. (Btw my 970's are in SLI). So my gut guess is that your monitor is either bad, the displayport cable, or the displayport on your card is not working. Hopefully this helps out!

Btw my 970's are MSI GTX 970 Geforce 4G.

xShotzee wrote:
I got my ROG Swift a couple nights ago. Well last night I had a similar issue, but my monitor worked straight out of the box with dual monitors w/dual link dvi and displayport. My 970's were working wonderfully. Well last night I had some windows 8.1 updates I needed to do, and when my computer restarted my ROG Swift was having the exact same issue. My monitor was not detected and when I tried to enable it in Nvidia Control Panel, it would not work. I tried searching for a work around and found none.

Well, what ended up working was unplugging my main monitor (in dual link dvi) while my displayport was still plugged into my ROG Swift. This turned my ROG Swift on properly, then I was able to make it my main display and plugged then dual link dvi into the second slot on my 970. (Btw my 970's are in SLI). So my gut guess is that your monitor is either bad, the displayport cable, or the displayport on your card is not working. Hopefully this helps out!

I've ruled out the displayport being bad on my GPU as I've tried both individually. I think I may have ruled out the displayport cable because I bought a displayport to hdmi adapter and still no signal when using the hdmi cable. I tried doing what you did as well, what happens is both screens are black and I can't get the hdmi monitor to turn on anymore. I REALLY don't wanna have to wait for an RMA, I doubt they even have stock to replenish my monitor. Waiting another month would be absolute torture.

It does seem strange that other people are having the exact same problem though, doesn't this point to some sort of driver or firmware issue rather than a coincidental hardware failure?

thewoogier wrote:
The plug doesn't seem to be broken in any way or anything.

My main line of thinking is that it's specific to the newest drivers with the 900 series cards. Just curious, what GPU do you have?

I am running two geforce gtx 780s. I am certain your monitor is dead I'm afraid.