cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula PCIe problem

DeVOLT
Level 7
Hello everyone!
Excuse me for my bad english, I'm not native. It's my first post in this forum. I could not find a solution to my problem in other threads of the forum and decided to create a new thread.

I recently bought ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA. I needed motherboard with 3 or more PCIe x16 slots, 1 or more PCIe x4 slots, Socket 1155 ets. This motherboard was the only one with the necessary parameters that I was able to buy in Russia. I need this configuration for connect 3 graphic cards (6 monitors I need) and connect special PCIe x4 card (for my scientific job). Now I would just like to work only two graphics cards without special card for my scientific job. If this happens then I will continue to try to connect other equipment, but so far, and this configuration is not working.
I setup this, but PCIe x16 #2 and #3 slots work incorrect.

First I will describe in detail about my configuration and some things that I think are important and then tell you about the problem.

My configuration is:
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Chipset: Intel H77 rev. 04
RAM: PC3-10700 (667 MHz) 4gb - 4 items (total 16gb ram)
Graphic card: NVIDIA NVS 315 two items now (total 3 items)
SSD: KINGMAX SSD 120GB (for OS)
HDD: TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (for data only)
My full configuration (CPU-Z report) you can download HERE

CPU-Z

I already update BIOS for actual version (version 1802 from asus website).

I DON'T connect some power sockets:

My graphic cards ok OK 100%. I test it in another PC.
My problem is that PCIe x16 #2 and PCIe x16 #3 NOT WORK !

Item One (The problem is solved in the post #6)
My BIOS do not detect PCIe x16 slot #3

One guy in this forum post the image below. He already have this motherboard. In BIOS you can see THREE PCIe slots, but I have only TWO.
That the problem here? How can I fix it?

Item Two
The first I install only one graphic card and it operate OK. But the next I install two graphic cards to slots #1 and #2. Graphic card #2 is NOT operate (power supply is OK: FAN is operate).

When installed two graphic cards speed for PCIe is x8. It's normally. In user manual write that if I install two PCIe devices the speed will be x8 and x8 for each device. But BIOS NOT detect the graphic card #2. In device manager also there is only one graphic board.

I need to work both cards at the same time. That the problem here?

My configuration now:

I would be very grateful for your help.
Please help me!
Many thanks in advance to all.
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hello DeVOLT and welcome to the ROG forum.

You could try updating the bios, if that doesn't solve the problem it looks like you have a faulty motherboard.

The last screenshot is showing PCIEX16_1 at x8, is this with one card installed or both?

The maximus v formula has three pci express slots as you know and can run 3 - way crossfire with amd cards as they only need x4 to function. You can only run 2 NVidia cards in SLI as NVidia cards need x8 to function. You are correct 2 cards will be running at x8 x8. When running SLI or Crossfire you want to have the EZ plug populated.

If a bios update doesn't fix the problem and your motherboard is under warranty with the store you got it from, you can return it there.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello DeVOLT and welcome to the ROG forum.

You could try updating the bios, if that doesn't solve the problem it looks like you have a faulty motherboard.

The last screenshot is showing PCIEX16_1 at x8, is this with one card installed or both?

The maximus v formula has three pci express slots as you know and can run 3 - way crossfire with amd cards as they only need x4 to function. You can only run 2 NVidia cards in SLI as NVidia cards need x8 to function. You are correct 2 cards will be running at x8 x8. When running SLI or Crossfire you want to have the EZ plug populated.

If a bios update doesn't fix the problem and your motherboard is under warranty with the store you got it from, you can return it there.

Hello Nate152 !
Thank you for your response.
I tried to update the BIOS. I tested the version of the BIOS 1802, 1803 and 1903 (latest version) from ASUS website. BIOS update does not resolve the problem. I have not noticed any changes at all in different versions of the BIOS.

Latest screenshot - installed TWO graphic cards and installed THREE graphic cards. Screenshots look the same for two or three graphics cards.
I tried to use only one graphics card. It works fine in slot #1 at speed x16, but it does not work in slots #2 and#3. When the card is inserted in slot #2 or #3, I did not even get a picture on the monitor, even though the operating system is loaded.

Last screenshot shows that the motherboard is still detects the some card in slot #2, and this reduces the speed to x8 (information from user manual).
If I only work 2 video cards, it would suit me.

Thanks for your help!

DeVOLT
Level 7
Today I tried to connect this power socket:

But it's not fix a problem.
Could it be that in order to correct PCIe work is not enough power?
I still did not connect this connector here:
Now I do not have the cable for this. I will try to test it in the near future.

UPD: I think the problem is not that. According to the documentation I plugged the power supply is correct:

Nate152
If a bios update did not help in getting all 3 pcie lanes to show, it looks to me like you need to return it to the store you bought it from.

Is your motherboard under warranty?

DeVOLT
Level 7
Nate152, thank you for your answer!

I don't sure, I think motherboard under warranty. I'll talk with the managers of this company in the near future.
Maybe somebody knows how to fix the motherboard? It seems that it really is partially defective.

UPD #1: In user manual write that for correct operate PCIe x16 I need third generation of Intel Core CPU.

Now I have processor with core: Sandy Bridge. But Sandy Bridge core is a second generation. I need Ivy Bridge core CPU (like i5-3330 or i5-3340).
It seems that the problem in this. You agree with me?

UPD #2: I fix problem from item one !
I install a new CPU: Intel Core i5-3340. This CPU have a Ivy Bridge core. Now I can use three PCIe slots (really needed a third-generation processor on Ivy Bridge core):
In this pictures installed TWO graphic cards.

But problem from Item Two remains unsolved. The second card is still not detected. Nothing has changed in this respect after the new processor was installed:

Any ideas?

Nate152
Ok this is good, an ivy bridge cpu gives you three pcie lanes but the second gpu is still not being recognized. I still think you have a faulty board since you've tried all your gpu's in another pc and they work fine.