cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 this ok? anytjing to add

toronto699
Level 13
im considering this g751 any thing that needs to be add , my budget is 3K before taxes
http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-rog-g751jy-intel-i7-4710hq-12-102954-1067.htm
I want the max I can afford ncix said if I wanted any thing add it must be done after I bought the unit and @ a considerable cost my old laptop HP HDX 18 will go to a child in need with 9 months of internet
51 REPLIES 51

hmscott
Level 12
toronto699 wrote:
im considering this g751 any thing that needs to be add , my budget is 3K before taxes
http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-rog-g751jy-intel-i7-4710hq-12-102954-1067.htm
I want the max I can afford ncix said if I wanted any thing add it must be done after I bought the unit and @ a considerable cost my old laptop HP HDX 18 will go to a child in need with 9 months of internet

toronto699, it's a great config at a good price, the only problem is it is showing Backordered right now. 😞

The thing to do with these hot new release G751's is to grab one as soon as you see it in stock, it might be gone minutes later... I have had to play that game myself, watching for changes in stock to catch one I want. You might call NCIX and see if you can get on the waiting list, it might be the surest way to get one quickly.

Let us know how it works out 🙂

9 in stock where I live 10 days if I order it now , hmscot any thing in this version u would change , id like the fastest cpu {4860HQ} but not available they said it was not backed ordered earlier today , I can wait , ive aleady given away my
HDX 18 refurbished and upgraded it should last a few more years

toronto699 wrote:
90 day back order they said , they did ask for my visa card ha ha, , hmscot any thing in this version u would change , id like the fastest cpu {4860HQ} but not available they said it was not backed ordered earlier today , I can wait , ive aleady given away my
HDX 18 refurbished and upgraded it should last a few more years

toronto699, the 4710HQ should be fast enough to keep up with the 980m.

I use Intel XTU to increase the i7-4700HQ multiplier from 34x base to 36x/35x/34x/34x core multi's, and so far I haven't been CPU bound on any games with a 780m OC'd to benchmark faster than 880m published results.

You can compare the 4710HQ and 4860HQ here:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/78930,76089

The base 4710HQ clock is actually 2.5ghz, which is higher than the 4860HQ 2.4ghz, but the top end 3.5ghz vs 3.6ghz reverses it - the 4860HQ is faster - but you might be able to twiddle the multi's on either one to get more speed.

I haven't run XTU on either of those CPU's yet, so please come back and let us know what the options are with which ever CPU you get 🙂

The other difference doesn't matter on the G751, we don't use the Intel GPU so the update for the GPU from Intel® HD Graphics 4600 to Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200 is wasted - it isn't enabled.

The other items are Intel vPro support / Trusted Execution, and unless you are integrating the G751 into a corporate environment, you probably don't care about them.

I don't think I would wait, those Canadian prices are lots less than the US ones right now, that could change and you might miss out on about $400 in savings...

toronto699
Level 13
thanks for the info

toronto699
Level 13
most of my time will be editing TV broadcast quality video , our TV edit suites are all sony the G751 is compatible with our TV editing software and my sony TV camera my blackberry and satellite phone , ..

I found what im looking for but its in USA. http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g751jydh72x-p-7608.html
check the specs asus G751-JY-DH72X

toronto699 wrote:
most of my time will be editing TV broadcast quality video , our TV edit suites are all sony the G751 is compatible with our TV editing software and my sony TV camera my blackberry and satellite phone , ..

toronto699, good thing you are getting the non-Optimus G751, your software won't be forced to use the Intel GPU for rendering - that was a problem on the last generation G750JM/JS/JZ, they couldn't switch their rendering off the Intel GPU to the Nvidia GPU, but it runs fine on the Nvidia GPU on a non-Optimus PC.

You will still need good CPU power for that requirement... IDK whether the newer CPU will help or not, at most it will only help on the single threaded jobs, because as you add threads the CPU drops the core speeds down accordingly - all the way to the slowest multi set core.

Before XTU my CPU would drop down to 3.2Ghz on 100% CPU usage on all 4 cores, but with XTU unlocking cores it runs at 3.4ghz.

toronto699 wrote:
I found what im looking for but its in USA. http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g751jydh72x-p-7608.html
check the specs

That's the best config + you can upgrade it 🙂

Every G751 owner has confirmed there is no Optimus on G751.

You can call xoticpc and let them know that Optimus graphic is incorrect - and they should take it down.

I have seen sellers with wrong information in their listings, including RAID0 2 x 128GB drives, G-sync and Optimus

Otherwise, it looks expensive, but good 🙂

Ack!!

Why does the (Asus produced?) images on the xoticpc link show Optimus as a feature?

Please, say it ain't so...

toronto699
Level 13