cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV Extreme P67 Rev. 3 Broken Pins

quoll
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I've tried searching for a thread with a similar concern, to no avail.

basically, I just wanted to know if I can still have my motherboard repaired even if 2 of the pins are broken.

here's the story:

1) I sold the motherboard along with an i5-3470k online to fund an upgrade.
2) buyer then informed me that the mobo won't post and that the debug LED did not light up.
3) I found this hard to believe since I've been using the board for the past year and everything went smoothly. in fact, I was using the board and processor, 2 days before I sold and met up with the buyer.
4) so I got the board back and tested it myself, but it appears that 2 pins were broken off and that the CPU LED indicator was lighting up constantly, and the debug lights rendered useless.
5) but having no proof that the item was in working condition, I had to give him his money back and absorb the losses.

so I was really hoping that I could still have it repaired, even for a fee. if anyone has encountered the same problems, please feel free to leave your inputs. any help or feedback would be very much appreciated.

I'm from the Philippines, by the way.

thanks fellow ROG fans.

Quoll
3 REPLIES 3

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Quoll and Welcome to ROG.
If the pins were bent then I would say there is still hope as I have repaired a board with bent pins using a magnifier and tooth pick, but as the pins are broken off then unfortunately you have a dead board, unless you can have the CPU socket replaced. (doubtful).
The moral to your story is, When selling second hand MBs, don't offer Warranty and no returns, You should have demonstrated that the MB was functional prior to sale. A hard lesson learned.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Praz
Level 13
Hello

You can request a RMA at ASUS.com. The necessary rework for replacing the socket will most likely be in excess of $100.00 though.

quoll
Level 7
@Mean Machine: feared as much. hard lesson indeed. thanks for the advice!

@Praz: I'll try working on an RMA. i still have to weigh if it's really worth another $100 dollars. thanks for the advice and estimate.