cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G56 BSOD Driver Power State Failure

Wcra
Level 7
Hi.

My new Asus G56 sometimes gets a BSOD, usually after exiting World of Warcraft and then attempting to run the program again shortly after

I'm no tech savy but can provide what's needed to solve the problem, if you explain how to.

Appreciate all the help I can get.

Regards,
Anders
9 REPLIES 9

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Please provide more information ;x

Wcra
Level 7
GPU is NVIDIA GTX 850M, I have tried rolling back to previous drivers as some forums suggest, but the problem still percists. I can provide dump logs if I'm explained how to

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
You might want to also tell us the G56 model you have, but which vga driver version are you using, or have you compared with the vga drivers posted on the ASUS download site?

If you want to spend the time looking through them, G750JM users have reported similar problems that appear to go away depending on the vga driver version they are using, so something to check with your unit.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?49929-Collection-of-Some-Blue-Screen-BSOD-Threads

Hope this helps.

Troguenda
Level 7
Wcra wrote:
usually after exiting World of Warcraft and then attempting to run the program again shortly after

My boyfriend is having the EXACT same issue. We have matching laptops, the only difference is that he installed an SSD drive in his (and reinstalled Windows) and I installed more memory in mine. After exiting WoW and opening it again, he has the same issue - instant BSOD. I have not had any issues with the BSOD and WoW, yet he and I have essentially the same laptop. We have compared driver versions, set-up, etc. Everything is set up the same with the same settings. Yet it only happens to his laptop, not mine. Did you figure out what's causing your BSOD? We are at wits end on what to do!

Troguenda wrote:
My boyfriend is having the EXACT same issue. We have matching laptops, the only difference is that he installed an SSD drive in his (and reinstalled Windows) and I installed more memory in mine. After exiting WoW and opening it again, he has the same issue - instant BSOD. I have not had any issues with the BSOD and WoW, yet he and I have essentially the same laptop. We have compared driver versions, set-up, etc. Everything is set up the same with the same settings. Yet it only happens to his laptop, not mine. Did you figure out what's causing your BSOD? We are at wits end on what to do!

Troguenda, all the 860m based laptops, in various intensities, have this BSOD coming out of games with Nvidia drivers after 332.60.

I don't know if the 850m is affected, but the BSOD error is the same... so it is worth a try 🙂

You can download the 332.60 driver from the G750JM download support area here:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G750JM&hashedid=hk9WNtlEOFPl0Q7s

You probably want to jump right to 344.75, as that has had the best reports, and has the best performance - better than 332.60.

Important: Do a Custom Install => Check the box for Clean Install => reboot after install.

The Clean Install will remove all old Nvidia files before installing the new ones, normal install might keep around some related files from the old driver.

Please come back and let us know which driver helps the most 🙂

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Troguenda wrote:

Does your boyfriend still have his original hard drive to put back in the system to find out if it's related to the SSD he installed?

Alternatively, if there is a way you could install the SSD from your boyfriend's computer into yours, that may be another thing to check, but you probably want to back-up everything on the SSD to be safe and I also would prefer to avoid opening up a working system right away.

Just a theory but if the problem appears related to the SSD, we may want to check if there are any (firmware?) updates (or solutions) on the SSD end, or if other people using the same combination are finding the same problem.
If it's not too late to exchange a different SSD, that may be another idea if it's really related to the problem.

Anyway, just an idea I wanted to run by you. Thanks.

hmscott
Level 12
Troguenda, refresh the page and reread my first post, updated.

cristian_g
Level 7
i had the same issue earlier today when I was skyping and browsing. the thing is i have 100% disk usage even in idle! i have the JK version, with gtx 850.
not sure if it is related to the issue, but earlier i saw a strange "com surrogate" process eating up a lot of RAM! i have the 4 gb ram vesion and it was 90% used. however I killed it and resources came back to normal and didnt get a BSOD. maybe it has something to do with 4 gb ram models?

second time it happened i hit "update and restart" buton and after installing the updates it occured. Played a bit of DOTA 2 today and didnt get any BSOD after closing the game - only the surrogate thing.

did your boyfriend disable the file paging (or whatever it's called the thing with virtual memory)? what about you? you said you installed more RAM into it, so maybe your laptop uses less virtual memory - thus less HDD writing. I consider this an option too. will test it and see for sure after i get another 4gb ram 🙂

cristian_g
Level 7
EDIT: i think we might need a BIOS update in the near future. after i got v209 on G750 i had no more issues or bluescreens. got a bluescreen earlier, with chrome open and watching a video and a deja vu struck me 😄 . only time will tell 🙂