cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Essence one/microphone

antoine5555
Level 7
Hi, I'm posting this here since I didn't have any luck in my previous post.

I am planning to buy a new sound card, and I am very interested in the Asus Xonar Essence One. I use an Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1. Now I know there won't be any problem about the audio, but I'm more concerned about the built in microphone. Is it going to work ? Will I be able to use the built in mic when my headphones are plugged into the Essence One ?

The ADG1 uses a 4-conductor 3.5mm jack connector, not two seperate jack connectors, one for the audio and one for the mic. Which means everything goes through the same jack connector.

I am aware that, if the microphone can work, I will need an appropriate adapter since the Essence One uses a 6.35mm jack on the front. I don't mind that, but I don't want to rush into buying something that expensive if I'm not sure it is going to be 100% compatible.

Thanks in advance for your answers and your help 😉
3 REPLIES 3

ConkersGrillfor
Level 9
Hi @antoine5555

The good message is, an adapter is included in the Xonar Essence One package.
The bad message is, I don't think the microphone will work, because the Xonar Essence One only has an audiojack out, but no microphone input. 😞
A microphone/audio splitter could be a solution here, then you can connect the audio to the audio jack of the Xonar Essence One and the microphone jack to the microphone input on your case or motherboard I/O panel. 😉
Desktop: Xigmatek Elysium | Rampage IV Extreme | i7-3960X | G.Skill 32Gb DDR3 2133Mhz|fastest Asus MarsII on the planet:cool: core 950Mhz| Kingston HyperX SSD 240Gb + 300Gb Intel 300series SSD + Velociraptor 600Gb + 3TB HDD | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W| 3xDell U2412m |
Laptop: Samsung 940X3G | i7-4500U | 8Gb RAM | 256Gb SSD | 13.3" 3200x1800 |

antoine5555
Level 7
Hey there, thanks for your answer.

I sent a message to the website I usually order from, and they confirmed that the microphone wouldn't work. I thought so. That's a bit disappointing cause I really liked the idea of using a DAC.

A splitter could work indeed, but my only problem is that I'm not sure having a connector plugged into the Asus and another plugged into my case would be very practical, especially that most splitters ain't long enough to do that.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I'm gonna keep looking for a solution, maybe another DAC that has a microphone input, even though I didn't see much of those so far. Wish me luck 😉

PS : I also wanted to send a message to Asus, but much to my surprise I couldn't find anywhere to do that on their website. Each time a serial number is asked, which implies that I would already have one of their products. Or maybe I'm just too dumb...

antoine5555 wrote:
A splitter could work indeed, but my only problem is that I'm not sure having a connector plugged into the Asus and another plugged into my case would be very practical, especially that most splitters ain't long enough to do that.

Then simply use an extension cable on either the microphone or the audio 😉

antoine5555 wrote:
PS : I also wanted to send a message to Asus, but much to my surprise I couldn't find anywhere to do that on their website. Each time a serial number is asked, which implies that I would already have one of their products. Or maybe I'm just too dumb...

xD Buy first, then sort out all problems :rolleyes:;)
Desktop: Xigmatek Elysium | Rampage IV Extreme | i7-3960X | G.Skill 32Gb DDR3 2133Mhz|fastest Asus MarsII on the planet:cool: core 950Mhz| Kingston HyperX SSD 240Gb + 300Gb Intel 300series SSD + Velociraptor 600Gb + 3TB HDD | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W| 3xDell U2412m |
Laptop: Samsung 940X3G | i7-4500U | 8Gb RAM | 256Gb SSD | 13.3" 3200x1800 |