cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help!! BIOS updated, raid killed

teknomedic
Level 8
I solved my own issue... leaving this as a little guide to perhaps help someone else.

Hi all and thank you in advance....

I'm running the Maximus VI Formula and I just updated the BIOS to 1603. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

It's been around 8 months since I updated the BIOS and I forgot that the BIOS reverts to default settings after and update. So I let Windows load and then noticed that my RAIDs were messed up. (I also think that windows installed drivers, but I wasn't paying attention since no noticeable errors occurred during windows loading)... my first indication that something was wrong was all my shortcuts to my programs that are installed on the RAID drives were blank.

No worries... I vaguely remember this happening on the last BIOS update... so I loaded up the BIOS menus and set everything back to how things were before. I even reset from AHCI mode to RAID and using the UEFI menu (not the intel rapid storage old DOS looking one that you press ctrl+i to get to) I re-connected my two mirrored RAID setups.

Physical is
0 = SSD
1 = 3TB Seagate
2 = 3TB Seagate
3 = 3TB Western
4 = 3TB Western

RAID Mirror 1 = 1+2
RAID Mirror 2 = 3+4

Again... this is exactly how this was setup before my BIOS update...

So I let Windows reload, but now my RAIDs don't even show up... all I can see is my C drive (500GB SSD).

Ok... so I go into drive management and while my drives are now "combined" they now show as "not initialized" and are "blank".

The data isn't gone clearly as they haven't been formatted, but it appears their file system states are "forgotten".

Any help out there for this???
5 REPLIES 5

teknomedic
Level 8
I tried allowing Windows to initialize the discs to GPT.... that basically did nothing. They still show blank.

I'm going to try searching for a partition recovery program and see if I can restore the original partitions.

teknomedic
Level 8
SOLVED:

I used a great little program called "Test Disk"... you can find it here:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Anyway... this little FREE program was able to analyze my two RAIDs and restore the somehow lost/deleted partitions.

My RAIDs are healthy and working with full access to my files again.

I'm not sure why this even happened, but maybe Asus could consider adjusting the BIOS update process to avoid issues like this in the future??

Corsair_Riker
Level 10
Nice work mate. Thanks for posting back that you solved your issue and how you solved your issue.
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (BIOS 0804)
CPU: Intel i5-4670k
HDD 1: Samsung SSD 250G 840BW EVO
HDD 2: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB Caviar Blue 7200rpm
RAM: 16gb (2x8) G. Skill RipJawsX DDR3-2133
PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W 80 Plus Gold
GPU: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD
CASE: Fractal Design Define R4
OPTICAL DRIVE: Pioneer BDR-209DBK
MONITOR: Samsung S24C300HL; BenQ E2200HD
Other: MS Wired 600; Logitech MX 310; Sennheiser PC 151 & Logitech Z150

Breimeister
Level 9
I had the same problem with my raid setup, every time a bios update came along I would lose my raid setup. I solved this problem by always cloning my raid drive to an old hard drive, doing the bios update, loading the bios defaults and setting everything back to the way I had it and then cloning back from the hard drive to the raid drive. When you have lots of bios updates, it gets to be a real pain. I don't know why this happened but I got rid of that raid drive.

Thanks for bringing that TestDisk my attention. I have added to my toolbox. :cool:

wa3pnt
Level 7
I do frequent Acronis Disk Image backups of my system, so that in the event of a disk failure I can restore the computer to the last backup state. I backup to both a 4TB disk in the computer and a NAS connected via the network. I have 6 SSDs arranged in three RAID0 arrays.

I recently upgraded my ME and Bios using the method presented here in post #1http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48855-Must-Do-s-for-making-4790K-work-with-Maximus-VI-Mothe...

I thought that after the BIOS Update I'd have to restore the RAID Arrays, but to my surprise after changing the SATA setting in the BIOS to RAID, the three Arrays were immediately visible and usable.

This may not be the case if the USB Flashback method is used, but it was the case for me doing the update via the BIOS Updater.

RodeoGeorge