cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to go beyond 1400

barahona
Level 7
In this review, a picture is posted of GPU Tweak used on the STRIX 970. In the review the author is able to get the utility to give him a Boost Clock of 1460 with an offset of 207.

Using the latest version available (2.7.1.8), which also happens to be the one used in the review, I tried to do the same but found that the slider would only allow me to go to 1400 even. Is there an extra setting I missed that will enable me to go beyond 1.4Ghz?
12 REPLIES 12

Praz
Level 13
Hello

v2.7.1.8 works fine for me. Can you go past that limit using Afterburner?

barahona
Level 7
Hey ya Praz.
I am not sure. I was hoping to stick with ASUS software to match my ASUS hardware. My OCD tends to kick my butt rather hard on such things. I suppose there is no harm in trying.

😉

barahona
Level 7
Yepp. I was able to go beyond the 1.4GHz limit of GPU Tweak. 😞

barahona
Level 7
So anyone got any ideas on what could be preventing me from going further with GPU Tweak?

barahona wrote:
So anyone got any ideas on what could be preventing me from going further with GPU Tweak?

Did you change the setting to enhanced overclocking? it should be in one of the settings tabs.

Praz wrote:
Hello

The only thing I can suggest is fully uninstalling and then reinstalling GPU Tweak. For day-to-day use I'm not using any software to overclock the Strix. After modding the card's power, voltage, memory and fan tables I'm happy with the performance as is.

Do you have a copy of the modded bios, I can never get out of Vrel no matter what I change. Notably 1506 ish is about the max game stable I can get at the capped voltage too.

I will try all of the listed suggestions, thank you all. I hope it works. I was just about to inquire about this segment:

Praz wrote:
After modding the card's power, voltage, memory and fan tables I'm happy with the performance as is.

I was curious how you went about this since I was under the impression that the STRIX was voltage locked and that the reasoning behind this was because of the single 8-pin power connector.

Nico67 wrote:
Do you have a copy of the modded bios

The above, however, makes sense. Not that I would add voltage mind you. I am perfectly happy squeezing out the most I can with the default juice. 🙂

barahona wrote:
I was curious how you went about this since I was under the impression that the STRIX was voltage locked and that the reasoning behind this was because of the single 8-pin power connector.

Hello

The voltage is applied in steps based on frequency. This is done using the voltage table which has 70+ entries. With the boost voltage increased almost 300MHz this shifts the table considerably so a lot of the voltages in the table need to be changed even if using the stock voltage. The voltage is locked. I haven't had time to confirm but it appears to be a hardware lock as well.

Thank you for the help everyone. As it turns out, all I needed was to enable advanced mode. 😮

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The only thing I can suggest is fully uninstalling and then reinstalling GPU Tweak. For day-to-day use I'm not using any software to overclock the Strix. After modding the card's power, voltage, memory and fan tables I'm happy with the performance as is.