cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Performance Tuning Plan

Tomo_VK
Level 7
Hi guys, need some advice 🙂
I have a 4930k and RIVBE, 2 GTX Titans in SLI, Corsair ax1200 psu and 16gb corsair dominator platinum 2400mhz kit. I can get 4.6 Ghz with 1.376v vcore (in hwmonitor at load) to get stable. Also it needs 1.25 VTT and 1.25 VCSSA to solve coold boot. Should I activate Intel Performance Tuning plan and change my cpu or not? What is the feedback on the performance of replacement cpus? What would you advise? My other problem with this chip is the temps, I have EK Supremacy EVO full nickel waterblock, 2 480 XTX EK radiators (with 4 120mm Scythe Glide Stream vents @2000rpm on each) and EK sbay (reservoir and 2 pumps ) but when I test with prime on blend i get max temps around 90C. I checked for air in the loop but it seems to be none. Applied paste about 4 times always the same temps 😞 Any thoughts?
30 REPLIES 30

Shubham
Level 7
You got a awesome rig. But I can't believe you are getting 90°C at water cooling that also at 4.6Ghz. May be you should try high quality thermal paste and nice coolant.

Tomo_VK
Level 7
Thanks 🙂 I use MX-4 paste, applied 4-5 times and every time same temps,i dont get it either, expected much more from this cooling. Maybe there is air somewhere in the loop, but ny tubing is black so i cant see...I tilted the case in every direction, to shake it up a bit, at the begining there was air but i dont hear it anymore. I have 2 pumps, coolant is also from EK.

Mosc_007
Level 7
I could be wrong but I think you have to kill the CPU to get a replacemnt under the Tuning plan. And if what I have read is true you will most likely get a very low quality one as a replacement. Althought the one you have does look pretty bad. 1.376 Volts for 4.6 Ghz is very high. The High temps would be from the very high Vcore.

Charles
| 5930k at 4.4 Ghz | Rampage 5 Extreme | Corsair 4 x 4 GB 2666 Mhz | GTX 980 x 2 in SLI |
| 512 GB SSD x 2 in Raid 0 | Corsair 1000 Watt PSU | Corsair 900D Case | 90 Inch DLP Projector |
| Custom Water. 1 x 360 Rad, 1 x 420 Rad. CPU + 2 GPU's Water cooled |

Mosc_007 wrote:
Althought the one you have does look pretty bad. 1.376 Volts for 4.6 Ghz is very high. The High temps would be from the very high Vcore.

Charles

My Appologies. I was confusing this with a 5930k which runs lower voltage. A good one will do 4.6 with 1.300 Vcore.

Charles
| 5930k at 4.4 Ghz | Rampage 5 Extreme | Corsair 4 x 4 GB 2666 Mhz | GTX 980 x 2 in SLI |
| 512 GB SSD x 2 in Raid 0 | Corsair 1000 Watt PSU | Corsair 900D Case | 90 Inch DLP Projector |

Tomo_VK
Level 7
You dont have to kill the chip, i read on the other forums that you can just tell them that you want to activate the plan because you need more vcore than before or it started crashing or some reason like that and they replace it, no questions asked, as long as they can read the serial off the ihs (no lapping). But the question is what quality are the replacements? Where can i find some feedback about that? Did you read about it somewhere? It would be nice to have a thread about that, from the people who used the plan. 4.6 is not great, but i wouldnt like to get even worse.

Shubham
Level 7
Yes, you are right you just need to activate the plan but you can get only one plan and only one replacement for one cpu. If you think you are going to OC beyond 5G and high vcore with LN2 just go for it. And if you are not going to OC like that then don't waste your dollar. Also read all rules of PTPP at intel site before buying the plan.

Mosc_007
Level 7
Their are very few Msg's on the net from people who have been able to get a replacement. And the ones that have, said the replacement was bad.

And you can't just get another one because it doesn't over clock as much as you want.

This is what the Plan says.

The Performance Tuning Protection Plan is an additional plan that a customer can purchase to cover processor failures caused by operating the eligible processor outside of Intel’s published specifications.

In terms and conditions.

The Plan will cover the processor running out of specifications for the remainder of the standard 3 year warranty.

From that it seems to me you have to kill it or it's unable to run at specification clocks (stock).

Charles

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
4930K running 4.6GHz at less than 1.4v is not a bad chip..in fact it is slightly above average and therefore the chance you get a worse one or no better is quite high....

Raja@ASUS wrote:
1) In my binning of 45 samples, 2% of CPUs will do 4.8GHz at 1.40V. 20% will do 4.7GHz. Almost 48% will do 4.6GHz at 1.40V. 28% will do 4.5GHz at 1.40V. 2% will do only 4.4GHz at 1.40V. The average frequency is therefore 4.6GHz on a reasonable CPU sample. Not a massive sample size, but I think it gives us a realistic indication of what to expect from retail processors.

Your temperatures are not good for 2 480s (unless your ambient is in the 30s!) and maybe a case of the screws on the block making contact with the 2011 socket and preventing good contact...?

Please see this thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51229-Serious-design-problem-quality-control-problem-with-E...

Tomo_VK
Level 7
Interesting thread about the screws on the ek block, i will check that out when i take the block down....on idle the temps are great, problems show when i run prime...on bf4 temps are around 58-60C . Cant believe that can happen on such expensive waterblock, but i got that feeling that the heat is just not transfered from the cpu to the block, when i touch it under load it is not warm, same with the radiators...strange. I was ready to blame intel tim under the ihs. So basically i should get new screws and that would fix the problem?