cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG G750jz but i WANT 980m!

dr__P3arl
Level 7
Hi, I just bought a G750jz.

2 Weeks after, G751 was relased, and my G750jz droped 40-50% in price.

Even the new G751 is today cheaper than my G750jz 2 weeks ago in same shop!

That is just a bad beat, however, is there any possible way to upgrade my G750jz with the new gtx 980m? (currently it has gtx 880m)

Hope to hear from someone, thx in advance.

dr. P3arl
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
I'm not sure about the internal layout but ASUS will often design heat sinks to match the GPU. So it might not be as simple as a swap. Even if you could swap it, the cost of a 980m is going to be really high right now; not worth the performance increase.

Your best bet would be if the shop you purchased it from would still let you return it and pay a penalty or the difference in cost. That would easily be the cheapest way if you want to have the latest and greatest.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

okay thanks! I guess I have to keep it then, it is a good system though, just bad luck. Prior the purchasement I was even asking, around me, about the 980m. They answered: no reason to wait, buy the g750jz 😕

dr. P3arl wrote:
okay thanks! I guess I have to keep it then, it is a good system though, just bad luck. Prior the purchasement I was even asking, around me, about the 980m. They answered: no reason to wait, buy the g750jz 😕

It was a good recommendation. They didn't know when Asus was actually going to release the G751 at all, or in quantity, so the best advice is to buy when you need it. Otherwise you are always waiting for the next release.

If you really want to upgrade, now would be the time. Play on their advice and plead the case that you took their advice and would now rather have waited for the 980m - would they take it back - with a small restocking fee - and apply the credit to the G751JY with 980m - you would need to do it now even if the G751JY isn't available in your country yet - and would need to do without until it arrives.

It is a reasonable request 🙂