cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn USB off when the computer is shut down

TigGrig
Level 7
Motherboard is Maximus VI Hero
How to turn the USB ports off when the computer is shut down?
Looks like the USBs are powered even when the PC is off.
Must be a setting in BIOS.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

jab383
Level 13
Hi TigGrig, and welcome

Have you checked Windows Device Manager? In Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers, go through all the listed devices, click on Properties, then the Power Management tab. In win7 at least, there are check boxes for "allow Windows to turn off" and "allow this device to wake Windows." The "allow this device to wake Windows" should be unchecked -- the USB port has to be powered and operating while Windows is off in order to wake Windows. Then the "allow Windows to turn off" should function.

Jeff

TigGrig
Level 7
I'm pretty sure it's not a Windows setting. It should be in BIOS somewhere.
When the PC is shut down how the Windows can control anything?

Praz
Level 13
Hello

If your power supply is fully ErP compliant setting ErP Ready to Enabled (S4+S5) will disable the USB ports when the system is powered down.

TigGrig
Level 7
The PSU is Thermaltake SP-750PCBUS. Is it ErP compliant? Can't find any info.
But I read that after enabling ErP the PC won't start at all in some cases.

Thanks

Praz
Level 13
Hello

To know if it is or is not fully compliant you would need to ask the power supply manufacturer or test if the system properly functions when ErP is enabled. Enabling Erp will have no bearing on startup unless there is an issue with the PSU.

Praz wrote:
Hello

To know if it is or is not fully compliant you would need to ask the power supply manufacturer or test if the system properly functions when ErP is enabled. Enabling Erp will have no bearing on startup unless there is an issue with the PSU.

Hi Praz. I have same issue with my M8Hero mobo. Illumination on USB devices keep lighting. I have enabled ErP Ready option on BIOS to prevent it and cut off the power on USB ports. But this time my PC keeps turn on itself. Initially all the LEDs goes off after the shutdown then, the system POSTs.

I am using Seasonic 860-XP2. Manufacturer specifications say it has ErP.