cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifying G750JZ w/ internal Astro a50 wireless transmitter (WirelessSurroundHeadset)

CoryBee
Level 7
Thought I'd share a little modification I did to my G750JZ.

It started out from wanting a nice wireless headset for gaming. But as I move around a lot, my gaming rig is of course portable. So I looked at a lot of options and there wasn't anything I really liked that was wireless, practically none. I thought about adding a Bluetooth receiver to a nice pair but decided against it as I still wanted access to the mic. Ended up going with the Astro a50 Headset, which is bar none the best thing I have put on my head that was wireless.

The headset;

Now...They have a special receiver, which has wires, I don't like wires...So this mod is to do away with having anything connected to this beast.

This was particularly tricky because to get the best sound possible out of these you have to use a separate sound card (that has proper dolby digital live), not only that but you have to use the optical connection, to solve this I purchased the Xonar U3 USB sound-card and intended to add all this inside one of the HDD bays.

Parts;

Astro a50 Headset Transmitter & Headset - $300
Xonar U3 Sound Card - $40
Usb Hub - $10
Usb Dust Cap x2 - $5

Assembling the goodies;

HDD Bay;

a50 case removed (sorry for slightly blurry images, didn't have tripod handy);

Like A Glove!;

Xonar U3 taredown;

Ready for sizing (ended up going with a smaller usb board from this guy http://j1305.hizliresim.com/19/9/mwd7z.jpg );

Had to remove USB port to fit the Xonar USB;

Inside the lady;

It was quite easy considering the USB connections on the top left are on a removable board.

Double checking to make sure the USB leads are the same on a normal cable (don't want any issues);

Shots of how the wiring fit;

Curling the optical cable up for insertion (be careful, it is glass strands and I killed a cable the first time trying to get a right angle) as well as adding the spdif connector;
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72
CPU: 2.4 GHz Core i7-4700HQ
Memory: 32 GB DDR3
Graphics: GeForce GTX 880m 4GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 512GB SSD (256GB SSD x 2 RAID) + 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Screen: 17.3" Full HD Glossy Screen
Sound: Custom Internal 7.1 Surround Sound Astro a50 Transmitter
Hobby: Arcade Builder
16 REPLIES 16

CoryBee
Level 7
Xonar U3 soldered in place up and ready for testing;

Coming together, that isn't the final resting place of the Xonar and wires will be cleaned up;

Lights up (at this point I haven't installed the USB hub - which will connect the Astro's mixer);

As of the previous pictures I just had the power going into the transmitter which works just fine, just no mixer settings and mic. But I have the USB hub installed as of today and works beautifully with teamspeak and BF4.

----------------------------------

Unfortunately for all this work I had to open her up once more.

Turns out the Xonar U3 sucks up too much power from the USB ports. The Xonar kept shutting off and turning back every 5 minutes or so. To remedy this I tried to take power from the second USB socket that sits next to this one on the removable board. This did not work as the same problem still persisted. I assume that the power feed to that board is overwhelmed by the two devices simultaneously running. Any other USB devices still work on that second port thankfully, just not high power hungry ones.

Soooo, I needed to find another power source. I scoured the lady with my multimeter and didn't feel safe taking from anything besides LEDs or USBs so I decided to take it from one of the right side USB connectors. (Just the power though as the hub serves the other purpose)

Unfortunately it means to get to those connectors I had to take out the motherboard. I wasn't going to quit when I am this far.

Butt naked;

Power connection soldered in place, don't forget ground connection as well (you will need a separate ground connection then the Xonar's USB hub);

That USB connection is still fully operable as the data lines are not taken up. I have a G602 gaming mouse dongle in there 24/7.

The USB that is taken up by the hub however needs to be remedied. Don't want to accidentally plug something into it. Just had to remove the nub from the dust cover with an exacto knife;

There you have it, a gaming laptop with a fully wireless 7.1 Surround Sound gaming headset/mic.

Thanks for stopping by :cool:
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72

CoryBee
Level 7
placeholder
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72

CoryBee
Level 7
Looks like I will be getting the G751JY soon to play with. I will be doing this mod to it as well.

Anyone got some farfetched ideas for a physical mod that a laptop like this would benefit from?
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72

CoryBee wrote:
Looks like I will be getting the G751JY soon to play with. I will be doing this mod to it as well.

Anyone got some farfetched ideas for a physical mod that a laptop like this would benefit from?

CoryBee, hold on to your chair... here it comes...

Do the same kind of mod, but instead of for headphones, do it for the SPEAKERS!! 🙂

Take over control of the built in speakers - wire just the speakers - not the amps or anything else. Use your own crossover, equalizer, and amp(s).

As far as controls, the skies the limit. Wireless control head? Wired? Integrate the controls into the laptop case?

Show Asus how to make a top notch sound system possible in a laptop 🙂

hmscott wrote:
CoryBee, hold on to your chair... here it comes...

Do the same kind of mod, but instead of for headphones, do it for the SPEAKERS!! 🙂

Take over control of the built in speakers - wire just the speakers - not the amps or anything else. Use your own crossover, equalizer, and amp(s).

As far as controls, the skies the limit. Wireless control head? Wired? Integrate the controls into the laptop case?

Show Asus how to make a top notch sound system possible in a laptop 🙂

Hmmmm....

Try running that by me one more time.

Are you suggesting I remove the speakers and replace with higher quality ones and a new 2.1 amp?

I actually though about doing something like this on my previous laptop, my plan was to put a Beats pill type thing my girl had that had better sound than that laptop. Never went through with it. But for souch a special machine it is a possibility.
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72

CoryBee wrote:
Hmmmm....

Try running that by me one more time.

Are you suggesting I remove the speakers and replace with higher quality ones and a new 2.1 amp?

I actually though about doing something like this on my previous laptop, my plan was to put a Beats pill type thing my girl had that had better sound than that laptop. Never went through with it. But for souch a special machine it is a possibility.

CoryBee, I was trying to aay to leave the speakers as is, and put in your own sound processing, amplification, and control.

The current software on the G751's isn't driving the speakers correctly. Out of the box it is putting all the sound out the subwoofer, and if you uninstall the Realtek driver, all the sound comes out the L/R speaker and none out the sub.

Here is the main thread discussing it:

G751JT-CH71 Sound only playing through subwoofer. FIX??
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53560-G751JT-CH71-Sound-only-playing-through-subwoofer-FIX&...

That is a link to post #109, first post from Asus telling everyone that they are working it... lots of posts from people with ill working speakers. It's such that some can't even tell if their speakers are working, it's confusing to new users as they just think it sounds bad.

Due to the out of the box sound problem, people will be asking for a fix for a long time to come. It will be one of the first things people ask and the thing most discussed. So this kind of mod will be on topic for a long time 🙂

That is what inspired my response to your asking for cool mods to do for the G751. The sound out the built in speakers.

A simple mod that takes the wires from the speakers and routes them to a new DSP, controls, and amp.

I guess you could try to replace the speakers too, but it is likely the form factor for them is unique to the G751/G750 and tough to find something that will fit.

What do you think?

Sounds like a fun project. The issue people are having would be interesting to tackle. But where would I begin?

I mean, where does this problem lie? In the drivers? Do I take the audio from the headphone jack? And power it through a device like the Xonar U3 USB DDL Sound Card?
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72

CoryBee wrote:
Sounds like a fun project. The issue people are having would be interesting to tackle. But where would I begin?

I mean, where does this problem lie? In the drivers? Do I take the audio from the headphone jack? And power it through a device like the Xonar U3 USB DDL Sound Card?

CoryBee, if the G751 also has 5.1 audio on the Toslink output, I would go with that, it has the best S/N - less noise than the analog output, and the widest bandwidth.

You could also tap into it from USB - and use software in the PC for processing.

I guess you will need to poke around when you get yours 🙂

hmscott wrote:
CoryBee, if the G751 also has 5.1 audio on the Toslink output, I would go with that, it has the best S/N - less noise than the analog output, and the widest bandwidth.

You could also tap into it from USB - and use software in the PC for processing.

I guess you will need to poke around when you get yours 🙂

By the way, the toslink hookup sounds like **** compared to the Xonar USB, which is why I didn't even think of trying to hookit up to the on the G750JZ.

A Xonar USB would be best I think, small and high quality sound.

Then the speakers directly wired to that?

What do you think? Should I throw in a mini amp?
ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72