cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G750JW Black Screen

StockDC2
Level 7
Hi, I have an issue with my Asus G750JW which others have suspected to be the motherboard. I've done a lot of searching around and it seems that many people have encountered similar problems.

The problem that I have is that the computer turns on (power light and num lock light are solid white) but is completely in a limbo state. The display stays black (backlight does not turn on). The optical drive does not eject. I can hear the hard drive spin for a quick second before powering down. The only thing that seems to work are the fans.

With this being said, I do not have the invoice so Asus is going off of the manufacturer date which was 1 year 5 months ago. I have not had the system for very long and am really disappointed that Asus is telling me that I'm SOL.

Regardless, I've removed the battery and attempted the "hold power button" trick to no availability. I've also removed the additional installed memory but still nothing. Is there anything else that I should try? Also, does anyone know if the GPU is soldered onto the board? If so, I have a feeling that the problem might be weak solder points and thus, the problem could be temporarily fixed with a heat gun. I had a Dell XPS M1330 with the exact same symptoms and it was repaired by applying low heat right over the graphics chip.

Anyway, my outlook on Asus has changed tremendously for the worst. I'm really hoping that someone can push me in the right direction on getting this thing working again. Thanks in advance!
2 REPLIES 2

code9523
Level 9
The GPU isn't soldered on motherboard it can be removed separately. And it looks like this: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Graphics-Video-Cards-/27386/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=asus+g750
If it is a gpu problem you should give it to service and they will give you a correct answer. What GPU and CPU temps You had before it dies?
Asus G74SX> Asus G55VW 3D> Asus G75VW 3D> Asus G750JW> Asus G750JX> Asus G750JH

hmscott
Level 12
StockDC2 wrote:
Hi, I have an issue with my Asus G750JW which others have suspected to be the motherboard. I've done a lot of searching around and it seems that many people have encountered similar problems.

The problem that I have is that the computer turns on (power light and num lock light are solid white) but is completely in a limbo state. The display stays black (backlight does not turn on). The optical drive does not eject. I can hear the hard drive spin for a quick second before powering down. The only thing that seems to work are the fans.

With this being said, I do not have the invoice so Asus is going off of the manufacturer date which was 1 year 5 months ago. I have not had the system for very long and am really disappointed that Asus is telling me that I'm SOL.

Regardless, I've removed the battery and attempted the "hold power button" trick to no availability. I've also removed the additional installed memory but still nothing. Is there anything else that I should try? Also, does anyone know if the GPU is soldered onto the board? If so, I have a feeling that the problem might be weak solder points and thus, the problem could be temporarily fixed with a heat gun. I had a Dell XPS M1330 with the exact same symptoms and it was repaired by applying low heat right over the graphics chip.

Anyway, my outlook on Asus has changed tremendously for the worst. I'm really hoping that someone can push me in the right direction on getting this thing working again. Thanks in advance!

StockDC2, sounds like you need to find a way to prove you took ownership when you did - credit card purchase - get a duplicate/ replacement receipt from the seller, get a debit/credit card report showing the purchase, anything you can do to get proof to Asus about the real date.

Also, Asus should repair for a charge, your local country/state laws for supporting repairs for so many years after sale come in to play after the warranty completes. They are still supposed to stock parts and provide service for installing them. Ask nicely 🙂

I don't think you should start pulling apart the laptop yet on your own. Perhaps find a local laptop repair place that works on Asus laptops, and ask them to repair it.

Please do come back and let us know how it works out. 🙂