cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's The Best Motherboard for My Build

PureYuki
Level 7
Greeting's Expert's this below is everything I'm purchasing (thinking of) for my build:

• Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Red Quiet Edition High Airflow 120mm Twin Pack [x2]
• Corsair Air Series AF140 LED Red Quiet Edition High Airflow 140mm [x2]
• Arctic Cooling MX-4 4G
• Corsair Hydro Series H100i
• Corsair AX860i Modular 860W 80PLUS Platinum
• Corsair PC3-19200 2400Mhz Dominator Platinum 16GB CL9 (4x4GB) DDR3
• ASUS GEFORCE GTX780 TI Direct CU II OC 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E
• Corsair Obsidian 350D Window
• SAMSUNG SERIES 840 EVO ULTRASLIM 500GB 2.5" SATA III [x1]
• BitFenix 24 Pin ATX 30cm sleeved red/black
• BitFenix 8 Pin EPS12V 45cm sleeved red/black
• BitFenix 8 Pin PCIe 45cm sleeved red/black
• BitFenix Molex 4x SATA adaptador 20 cm sleeved red/black
• BitFenix cabo sata 3 30cm sleeved black/black
• Processador Intel Core i7 4790k 4GHz 8 MB Skt 1150 Box
• ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo

Still I don't know what motherbord to use for Overclocking & Gaming, any ideas?
First I thought about ASUS ROG SERIES MAXIMUS VI GENE C2 SKT 1150 but I need to choose another one.
7 REPLIES 7

jab383
Level 13
Good list of stuff - all ROGgy with the red and black sleeving. Good quick RAM, too.

For a Devil's Canyon CPU - the 4790K - a Maximus VII (7 rather than 6) motherboard would be preferred. M7's were built for Devil's Canyon and use the slightly better Z97 PCH chip. My personal preference would be the M7 Formula based on the good results I've had with the M6F. I did the extra steps to upgrade my M6F for the 4790K, but you would be that much closer to a working rig if you start with an M7. M7 BIOS fan control is also a lot better.

With a Formula, you might try the on-board audio first before buying an additional card. Note that nvidia graphics cards like 16 PCIe lanes and must have at least 8. With either the 4770K or 4790K, the total available lanes are 16. Use of any other PCIe 3 socket shares lanes and reduces those available for the graphics card. You might download the manual for the card you choose and read up on the available lanes and the sharing. The 860W PSU is ample for expansion to two graphics cards - nvidia, but maybe not AMD - that will make the lane sharing issue even worse.

That's good cooling for a moderately overclocked gaming rig, but leads to one other comment - I have used MX-4 TIM extensively, but now am using Prolimtech PK-1 since it's about 1.5 times better thermal conductivity.

As always, these are my opinions. YMMV.

Jeff

PureYuki
Level 7
Thanks for the quick reply. But I don't think I understood everything you said. (shame on me).
So I think you're right by saying I should try the on-board audio first (have logitech z906 that I want to connect 7.1).
Regarding the thermal paste, I would like to try and use Prolimtech PK-1 but unfortunetly it's not available in any market here.

Now the part that I'm trying to understand is: The Motherboard you said would be better to obtain is a: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII
Still there is the: Formula / Gene / Hero / Ranger. - Guess it's the Formula (but want to check that with you).

But I didn't understood the part of the Power Supply: It has 2 slots for two graphic cards (NVidia ones) but maybe not AMD
But isn't the ASUS GEFORCE GTX780 TI Direct CU II OC 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E from NVIDIA?

Hope you can hlp me further +1 Rep.
Obs. Regarding the case, you know any other good with side painel where everything would fit?

The Maximus VII Formula has AC wifi - if you want AC wifi, I would recommend the Formula. If you do not care to have wireless, the Maximus VII Hero is also a great motherboard.

Due to the ROG series 8 channel audio these motherboards come equipped with, I would hold off on the expansion sound card and make that determination later.

You may want to take a look at the GTX980 cards also.

So the ASUS GEFORCE GTX980 DIRECTCU II OC STRIX 4GB GDDR5 would be better?

PureYuki wrote:
So the ASUS GEFORCE GTX980 DIRECTCU II OC STRIX 4GB GDDR5 would be better?

GTX980 has bit more performance, less power, less heat (compared to GTX780). Because of this, you could either run it stock at a cooler temperature, or overclock it even higher.

I expect a Poseidon GTX980 to be released soon (standard fans, but also factory water cooling barbs).

If they release a "P" version of the Poseidon (like they did with the GTX780 chipset) - these will be "binned" 980 GPUs - meaning that out of the batches of GTX980 GPUs, they will be the superior chips.

sk2play
Level 13
The Maximus VII Hero is best if you don't need WiFi integrated on the MB. I would stick with the Corsair H100i Pre-Applied Thermal Paste which is Shin-etsu as it has no curing time and is as good as all the top dog TIM that require much longer curing time.
Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit

01_Wolverine
Level 12
Asus x99 Extreme v is the best bar none

See TTL review

http://youtu.be/oBa8UokMhLA