cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Tweak on any GPU?

rolldog
Level 9
I'm running an Asus Maximus VI Formula MB with an i7-4770K processor, and my graphics card is an EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked card, and I have everything hooked up with a custom water cooling system. I saw this software available, but I was wondering if it can be used on any GPU or if it's designed to work only with an Asus ROG graphics card. My system is relatively new, I finished building it a few months ago, and this is my first time overclocking anything. So, I was wondering if there was a guide on this site somewhere describing how best to overclock the GPU (I'm assuming to increase the memory clock gradually until I find the "sweet spot," move it back down to default and then do the same with the GPU clock. Once I find the optimal settings for each, then set both at those levels. Does this sound about right?

Also, what GPU benchmark do you recommend I can run before and after, and maybe be able to compare it to others with the same GPU?
3 REPLIES 3

rolldog
Level 9
Not surprised no one can answer this question. I'll just stick with all the software provided by EVGA.

Hi, from what I know, GPU Tweak is supposed to work with Nvidia cards and AMD. All basic settings may be available when used with EVGA 780Ti SC like GPU clock, memory clock, voltage, fan speed , power target and temperature target - it depends on used voltage controller on Your card, only way to know is simply download and check out GPU Tweak - I recommend using version 2.7.5.0 which can be downloaded from here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/app/GPUTweak_2_7_5_0.zip
It's more stable than previous and it fixed for me GPU Monitoring app hang and crash.

Here You can learn about other overclocking softwares for GPUs including EVGA PrecisionX and GPU Tweak: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8589/anandtech-guide-to-video-card-overclocking-software

About overclocking - first start with GPU clock as it gives You more benefit in most cases, benchmarks You can try are: Heaven Benchmark 4.0, Valley Benchmark 1.0, 3DMark Fire Strike and few more, but I find best way to find out stable overclock while playing games - sometime I can pass benchmarks without problems to only get app crash when gaming because of unstable overclock.

I personally use GPU Tweak to overclock my card, reason is that my card is ROG Matrix version and with GPU Tweak I have acces to specific settings which are available for my card like: PEX_VDD, memory voltage, Load Line, VRM clock and 3.3V voltage - these setting can't be set or visible with other overclock software.

However in the past with my previous cards (Asus GTX Titan, Asus GTX 690) I never used GPU Tweak because I somehow liked PrecisionX interface more and there was no difference in setting clock settings in these softwares.

You can try both, I'd try PrecisionX first as it's updated not so long ago with few new features - depends if You like interface look.

MSI Afterburner 4.0 is another great overclock utility worth to try out.

Just remember to use one overclock software at time, as running few in same time can cause several issues. Best to download one You decided to try out, after some tweaking and testing before installing another one use Revo Uninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html) to uninstall current OC software. Removing software by standard remove in Control Panel may leave services running or other files still on Your system.

rolldog
Level 9
Thanks for the info. It's very helpful. It's good having a guide to use as a starting point, and then I can make minor tweaks from there. My PC has been assembled for almost 6 months, and I haven't even had time to see how well it can be overclocked or how it compares with other CPUs, GPUs, etc similar to what I'm using.