cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JS-DS71 Blu Ray Burner Upgrade Advice?

Tchail
Level 7
I bought a ROG G750JS-DS71 in August, and I'm looking to swap out the DVD burner for a Blu Ray burner.

On another thread I spotted that the Panasonic UJ240 is a good replacement, but how do I install it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AXW2YQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A194WE1I82NDDW

How do I take the old DVD drive out? Is there a release screw? Will I need any additional hardware?

I wish there was a service manual for the G750JS-DS71 that detailed how to replace key components and how to do a complete tear-down and rebuild (if necessary).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

-Tchail
5 REPLIES 5

Dinooz
Level 7
Tchail wrote:
I bought a ROG G750JS-DS71 in August, and I'm looking to swap out the DVD burner for a Blu Ray burner.

On another thread I spotted that the Panasonic UJ240 is a good replacement, but how do I install it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AXW2YQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A194WE1I82NDDW

How do I take the old DVD drive out? Is there a release screw? Will I need any additional hardware?

I wish there was a service manual for the G750JS-DS71 that detailed how to replace key components and how to do a complete tear-down and rebuild (if necessary).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

Tchail.........Removal is simple,Remove the hdd/ram cover by removing the one screw under the plastic flap nb the screw is retained by a small circlip, so no need to remove the screw completely. Slowly prise the cover off by pushing it in the direction of the arrows and releasing the clips, I use a flat bladed knife to get under the cover from the lower edge, first time its a bitch but after you remove it a few times it becomes easier. Now look in the ram slot and you will see a screw adjacent to the end of the optical drive undo the screw and slide out the drive..nb it is a special screw ,different thread to the others so don't misplace it. I am pretty sure the Panasonic is the standard bluray player in my JX so it shouldn't require any drivers etc. Cheers Dino

This is perfect!

Thanks for the help!

Leptoid
Level 7
I bought this for the G751JT-CH71... it is too tall for the drive bay.

Leptoid wrote:
I bought this for the G751JT-CH71... it is too tall for the drive bay.

what did u buy ? model #?

toronto699
Level 13