cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG G56JR - black screen on startup. Possible video card conflict - Win 8.1

LukyLuke
Level 7
Hi there!
Past march i bought an Asus laptop model G56JR - CN169H. It was sold with Windows 8 already installed.
So, this are the base spec:

• Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ Processor
  • Intel® HM86 Express Chipset
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760M 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
  • 16 GB SDRAM DDR3
  • 4 x USB 3.0, 1 x HDMI,...

So, when i bought it, it worked perfectly as expected. But, since i updated to Windows 8.1 ( windows shown me the notification to update the OS ) the problems started ( i indicate the win 8.1 update as event because approximately it was the period of the beginning of my pain ).

The problem is that after the bootstrap ( where i can see the Rog logo and the windows ring loading ) i can't see anything more, I mean, the screen is turned on, but is black. ( the problem occurred randomly without any clear reason, and after waiting for some minutes, the screen appeared normally, but now it doesn't appear anymore 😕 ).

I want to specify that windows itself is properly loaded in the meanwhile, so it's a video problem. In fact, if i load windows in provisory mode (through F9 at startup) i can see all normally, so i can login in my win account, and do all my stuffs.

Looking through some forum thread i found some solution like disabling the integrated video card ( so the Intel one ). So i tried and then reboot the system. The result was ok, so now i can see all as before, also in the normal boot. The problem is that now the process "ASUS Color Engine" stop to working at startup, and the NVidia panel can't be opened, returning me the error "You are not currently using a display attacked to a nvidia gpu".
So, i went back to provisory mode and re-enabled the integrated video card ( i did't it from the normal windows boot mode, because after re-enabling it the screen became black and i can't see nothing :/.

After all this, i made another test : keeping both video cards enabled i connected a secondary monitor through HDMI port, and magic! On the secondary monitor everything is visible (Nvidia panel now works, and Asus Color Engine also works fine), but nothing on the laptop monitor :mad: Even if i try to set the video output to expand on both, or duplicate on both or just move the output to the laptop screen, the result is always the same 😞 . So i checked in the bios
to find something about video card, but there is just the Graphic configuration that let me change a parameter for the fixed memory of integrated video. I also checked in the Asus official website for my specific model and i found a new version of my bios, and i installed it with Easy Flash, the installation was fine, but anything is changed than before.

In the end, i tried to restore all from the scratch through F9 BUT it show me the normal modality returned by windows 8 / 8.1 not any particular Asus recovery mode.

So, the last test i have to do is to use Asus Backtracker and create the recovery partition to an external usb key, and try to restore it. If it doesn't work i really don't know what can i do. I'll probably open a ticket to Asus for the support.

Additional info: all my drivers are updated to the latest version, and for the Nvidia video card, i tried also to install the last drivers released by Nvidia official website for my model. Nothing changed. In Device management i have no problem, everything is considered to working fine.

( Sorry for this huge explanation, but i wanted to explain as many details as possible including all my tests to give better an idea of my problem )

So, any idea? Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot !!!
2 REPLIES 2

LukyLuke
Level 7
Hi guys, just to let you know, in the end i sent the laptop back to Asus in assistance, since i still have this in warranty, and after one month i receive it back fixed. The problem was: "Hard Disk track error" and "CRT LCD error". No more information about them.
So, hope it could be helpful for someone

LukyLuke wrote:
Hi guys, just to let you know, in the end i sent the laptop back to Asus in assistance, since i still have this in warranty, and after one month i receive it back fixed. The problem was: "Hard Disk track error" and "CRT LCD error". No more information about them.
So, hope it could be helpful for someone

LukyLuke, sorry you didn't get a response to your original post, there aren't many G56 users here (yet?).

Glad to hear Asus fixed it for you 🙂

Did Asus reload the OS for you? Or did you get back your Windows install as you sent it?

The error suggests they replaced your HDD or at least reloaded it. And, they replaced your Display assembly - but we don't know if it was just a backlight failure, or what.

Thanks for reporting the fix 🙂