cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to overclock iGPU with Maximus Gene VII?

bonvoyage
Level 7
With my old Gene V i could set an absolute frequency for the iGPU. How can i overclock my HD 4600 beyond 1300MHZ with the Gene VII?
7 REPLIES 7

jab383
Level 13
Hi bonvoyage

I have Maximus VI Hero and Formula and am referring to those manuals. Z97 board BIOS should be similar. I used the HD4600 exclusively for a few months and still do occasionally. The integrated graphics seems to be more stable than PCIe graphics cards when doing 2D benchmarks with bclk more than 3% off nominal.

On the Extreme Tweaker tab, after the core, cache and memory ratio settings is CPU Graphics Max Ratio. Default is Auto. It can be set to a ratio for the multiplier in steps of 50MHz: 25 = 1250MHz, 30=1500MHz, etc. iGPU clock remains adaptive, running down as low as 600MHz when idling and up to the manual setting when loaded.

Down lower on that BIOS page is the setting for CPU Graphics Voltage. I have always needed to raise that when overclocking the iGPU. An average 4770K needed 1.24 Vgpu for 1700MHz (34 ratio). A good 4790K needed 1.18 Vgpu for 1700MHz. Some good HD4600 will run at 1750MHz, but I've never seen one that would be fully stable at 1800. I use OCCT GPU test for iGPU stability testing while tweaking. Absence of detected errors over a 2 minute test has proven to be effective.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

thank you, this helped me. I started with factor 30 and got it running stable with Auto GPU Voltage. Then i tried factor 35 and i could not get it to run stable, even with adding an offset of 0,020 CPU graphics voltageV.
With which tool do you read the GPU Voltage? I have CPUID HWmonitor free version, but unfortunately it does not show graphics voltage.

Bonvoyage

jab383
Level 13
Aida64 shows about everything. It's not free, but has a free trial. Aida64 is great at monitoring, but only so-so as a stability test in that it doesn't check for errors.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

unfortunately the free version fof Aida64 does not show the absolute voltage value for the CPU Graphics. Do you know the default/not overclocked voltage for the HD4600 ?
I could then better imagine which voltage offset i have to add n order to reach 1600 MHZ.

Bonvoyage

Edit: was my fault, ofc. factor 35 was way too much, 33 = 1650 MHZ worked

jab383
Level 13
It slipped my mind to mention - when the iGPU is idling, it's voltage drops all the way to 0 and doesn't register in Aida64. Try the sensor page while running the 'stress GPU' stability test or some other software that exercises the GPU compute power.

Only a few HD4600 will run at 1750. 1650 has been a sure thing for me.

Jeff

bonvoyage
Level 7
tx for that info, Jeff. It shows me 1,272V for VGPU under stress , overclocked to 1550MHZ. On 1600MHZ and 1650MHZ its over 1,3V. I used OCCT for that. CPU Graphic Voltage set to Auto. I tried also to undervolt slightly, but if i set an offset of only -0.008V on 1550MHZ, it crashed under 3D load.
I dont know how to undervolt it stable. Do i have to adjust another setting for that?

Bonvoyage

bonvoyage
Level 7
tx for that info, Jeff. It shows me 1,272V for VGPU under stress , overclocked to 1550MHZ. On 1600MHZ its over 1,3V. I used OCCT for that. CPU Graphic Voltage set to Auto. I trie to undervolt slightly, but if i set an offset of only -0.008V on 1550MHZ, it crashed under 3D load.
I dont know how to undervolt it stable. Do i have to adjust another setting for that?

Bonvoyage