cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 and STRIX GTX 970 - some questions

syftex
Level 7
I've got everything running quite well except Thermal Radar 2 does not see the STRIX GTX 970. I tried updating to the newer Thermal Radar but its still not detected.

My other question was the board comes with two assistant fans that plug into Asst 2&3. What is assistant 1 fan for? The manual says only to plug in an assistant fan but thermal radar 2 registers it as a top case fan. I'm using the Antec 1200 case, is it fine to power the top fan off Asst 1?
4 REPLIES 4

X-ROG
Level 15
If you're running in a case you don't need the small assistant fans. 🙂

Mech
Level 8
I have a Sabertooth Z97 with a STRIX GTX 970 as well, I am able to control the fan from Thermal Radar but that is it. Is there supposed to be more?

Mech wrote:
I have a Sabertooth Z97 with a STRIX GTX 970 as well, I am able to control the fan from Thermal Radar but that is it. Is there supposed to be more?

No, I believe this is working as intended. I for one was confused when I bought the product as the product page said it could especially control ASUS cards. If you look in the Sabertooth Z97 manual it specifies the advanced features are for the 700 series cards. I for one was confused by the advertising and in no way disappointed as its hardly a deal breaker for such great hardware. As you could see you can control the card with AUTO Mode and Smart Mode in Thermal Radar. I believe the feature that's missing is auto tuning compatibility like Thermal Radar does with the other fans connected. Since you can still set your own profile it shouldn't be hard to customize and tweak a great profile for your card using Thermal Radar anyways.

Since Thermal Radar showed the Assistant fan 1 slot as a top case fan, I tried plugging my Antec 1200 Top Case fan into it (as im waiting for fan splitters) It worked fine up to a limit of 750 RPM by Thermal Radar, the fan is rated 800 RPM. The manual states that these are for "assistant fans" only and I had no idea whether I really made a mistake as I didn't see any further documentation for the fan that would plug into Assistant Fan 1 as it isn't provided with the motherboard or mentioned beyond the power plug. I haven't been able to locate a discussion about this or any further information.

I say this because I did experience a few cases of the motherboard shutting off the computer due to power surges and I unplugged the top fan from the assistant fan slot and haven't had that happen since. I don't know for certain if that was what was causing the surges as it was working fine for a few days prior but like I stated it has been shut off free since. I thought I would put this information out there if anyone runs into a similar problem. I plan on contacting ASUS directly in the future about the Assistant Fan 1 and I will update this thread then.