cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crosshair v formula & fx9590 odditys

finglonger
Level 9
ive recently swapped a FX-8120 for a FX9590 and after resetting the bios to defaults\auto the machine boots and appears to work ok and so far appears stable however the ram which used to run at 1600mhz now appears to be stuck at 1333mhz and will not post when the ram is set 1600mhz

with bios set to docp, 1600 or 1600 8-8-8-24 system refuses to post
after a minute or 3 waiting 1 Q-LED light remains static on a random lights after each reboot which gives no real clue at least to me as to what the problem is
if i press the power button on the machine the machine reboots and will not switch off (even if the button is pressed for 30secs or more) unless i remove the power, not tried the button on the board
if i rappidly press the power button a few times the machine will switch off. when i restart the machine a message appears saying overclocking failed, this same message appears after pulling the power and restarting the machine
another odity to top it all, only half the ram appears to be detected during post ie one stick in each channel but bios sees all the ram and windows is reporting 16gb.. could be my imagingation playing tricks on me, but with the fx8120 im sure i saw the full capacity during post

ive checked and power is going to both the 8\4 pin 12v and EZ plug (EZ plug is sharing power with the thunderbolt nic nothing else)
for what its worth i ran win7 memory test, i know its not the best but didnt have access to memtest at the time, no faults found. will run a quick test with memtest this evening but tbh dont think the issue is faulty ram, its been fine to date

tested with just 2 sticks of ram on the same channel and machine boots fine with ram set to 1600 but post still ony shows half the installed ram

only conclusions im comming to at the moment are
the PSU isnt powerfull enough for this CPU\GPU combo, although i would expect issues even with the ram set at 1333mhz which ive not seen
auto settings for the ram is not selecting the correct settings
or
the CPU architecture dosent work with this mobo\ram with the XMP settings and 4x memory banks full

am i missing something?, any ideas, tips pointers would be appreciated

specs:
2 OCZ 60GB VTX3-25SAT3-60G SSD
CORSAIR H100
Asus Crosshair V Form.Thunderb (bios 1703)
LG GH24NS70 24x DVDRW SATA BLK
1 500G WD5000AAKX SATA3 HDD £49.98 £49.98 £10.00 LN37991
8GB 2x4G CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 XMP £44.12 £88.24 £17.65 LN36549
750W Enermax Rev ERV750AWT-G
6GB MSI HD7990 PCIE R7990-6GD5
2 256 sandisk? ssd
18 REPLIES 18

TheNerdBench
Level 10
If the BIOS isn't detecting your RAM then there is either a problem with the RAM, memory slot, or I hate to say it...your water cooler. There has been a bunch of strange problems that have been associated with the H100/H80 water coolers; I would suggest remounting the water cooler as there is some metal washers that may be shorting out some pins causing your memory issues.

I would take the RAM out and test in another system with Memtest86 as you already pointed out.

My CFZ will not detect the correct clock speed of my memory if left on AUTO; I always have to manually select 1866MHz just as a FYI.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

TheNerdBench wrote:
If the BIOS isn't detecting your RAM then there is either a problem with the RAM, memory slot

testing this theory i removed one stick at a time from the board and POST only reports 4gb, well with 3 sticks it reports 4080mb which is odd
tested each stick in each slot 1 at a time and the ram is detected as normal as 4gb, insert more than 1 stick in either dual channel slots or alternate channels and only 4 gb is detected, untill all 4 sticks are stuck in and then it reports 8gb

, or I hate to say it...your water cooler. There has been a bunch of strange problems that have been associated with the H100/H80 water coolers; I would suggest remounting the water cooler as there is some metal washers that may be shorting out some pins causing your memory issues.

the unit has been functioning properly upto date

dont see any metal washers on the water cooling unit, only place the washers could be would be under the plastic mountings on the mobo but theyve been in place for more than 2 years. only pins i see on the unit are the ones used to connect fans too which are clear except for the 2 fans which are working. only part that i can see that may cause a short would be on the copper underside but thats well clear of the mobo and anything which it could short. thermal paste ive used is non conductive as well, even if id used too much it shouldnt cause a short either (like i managed to do in the past)

I would take the RAM out and test in another system with Memtest86 as you already pointed out.

not realy an option as a dont have access to another unit wich uses ddr3, only thing i can do is walk 1 stick at a time through all slots running memtest each time 😞
i did run memtest for a few minutes last night with all 4 sticks with no faults found, memtest reported only 8gb though it could see all 4 slots were populated and correctly identified the sticks

windows does see all 16gb, may be worth trying a burn-in-test with passmark on the ram in windows to see if its all accessible

My CFZ will not detect the correct clock speed of my memory if left on AUTO; I always have to manually select 1866MHz just as a FYI.

which is what i did with the previous cpu to get the ram to 1666mhz and iirc according the the sticky on the ch5f forum is the only way to get the bios to see the XMP speed of the ram

elesde
Level 10
Just to be clear is this the newer CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z or the older CROSSHAIR V FORMULA?
Since the older board does not officially support FX9xxx series CPU even with bios 1703. Obviously it still runs although there might be some bios settings that have to be changed manually...

Have you tried setting DRAM and CPU/NB current capability to 130% in bios and maybe putting slightly more voltage on the CPU/NB?
Some power settings for the CPU core itself could be off as well since the FX9590 needs quite a lot of juice 😄

I'm thinking you might very well be at the limit of that power supply---that 7990 draws quite a bit of power, and of course, the 9590 does as well.

Please excuse my intrusion here. I have the Crosshair V Formula (non Z). It has been my understanding (through my research) that I cannot run the FX9590 without exotic cooling. Is this in error? I am currently air cooled (Hyper 212 Evo) FX8150, OCZ ZX1000 psu.
Again sorry for the intrusion into your thread, but this subject peaked my curiosity after having been resigned to the 9590 not beeing available to my configuration.

FlyCatcher wrote:
Please excuse my intrusion here. I have the Crosshair V Formula (non Z). It has been my understanding (through my research) that I cannot run the FX9590 without exotic cooling. Is this in error? I am currently air cooled (Hyper 212 Evo) FX8150, OCZ ZX1000 psu.
Again sorry for the intrusion into your thread, but this subject peaked my curiosity after having been resigned to the 9590 not beeing available to my configuration.

I have to agree with trying to OC your current CPU or going with a FX8350 and overclock that on your board since it has no official support for FX9590/9370 CPUs.
The cooler these chips run the higher the OC is usually, just try how high you can get with that FX8150 + Hyper 212. If it does not OC well or temps get too high you can always get a new cooler or the FX8350. To get anywhere close to 5GHz you definitely need a better cooler though 😃

chris635
Level 7
You would need at least an all in one water cooler.
Chris...Have a nice day.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
These CPUs run hotter than the day is long; and so, while you might be able to get by with a very high-efficiency air cooler, I would advise against anything other than a decent water cooler.

Z

Are you saying that a Crosshair V Formula (nonZ) will run a 9590 with water cooling? Nothing else I have read says it will. Just want to confirm before taking the plunge on a new cpu. Is there anyone else that has this configuration that might offer some insight?