cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus GPU Fan Configuration + FurMark (G750JZ)

Martin-Rott
Level 7
Hello,

I’ve used FurMark 1.12.0.0 under windows 7 with Notebook Fan Control (NFC) on 100%, as the fan control from Asus under win7 seems buggy for the G750JZ (at least I heard that they did not include the higher speed when the GPU gets hot).

Unsatisfied with the cooling result and the handling of NFC (as auto won’t work), I now switched back to windows 8.1 (ASUS factory Recovery Partition) to be able to use the Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops (not running under win 7) and hopefully get also a proper automatic fan control directly from Asus.

First of all: the max fan speed using Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops is definitely higher than using 100 % under NFC, so I guess the fans are working correctly when needed / requested.

I turned off the Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops then, and OC my machine with MSI Afterburner.

After I found the my personal best OC values - tested with Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 and 3DMark SkyDiver (max temperature of the GPU reached 81/82°C) - I wanted to use also Fur Mark for a higher stress test of the GPU, and here starts the problem…

The Burn-In Benchmark 1920x1080 (15 min) reached a temperature of 81°C but only worked at 23 FPS (fan speed stays low, same as when running Unigine and 3D Mark) – same done under win 7 gave me 42 FPS and 87°C (with NFC 100% Fan-Speed)

Tried running the Burn-in test then, and the FPS went up to 39, but the temperature also raised up to 92°C (stopped the test at this point) without making the fan running automatically at max.

Tried the same with Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops enabled (but obviously without the fan at max turned on manually), same problem (but with lower FPS due to lower OC values).

Maybe someone can help me with my questions:
- Can the drop of the FPS just be caused by a bad Optimus GPU handling?
- Is there a known issue with the fan control under windows 8.1 that explains why the fan won’t run at full speed when the GPU is at 92°C?
- Is there a known issue explanation for this fan control behavior when running FurMark?
- In Game performance should not be a problem looking at temperature reached in Unigine and 3D Mark I guess, correct?

Comments highly appreciated. Thanx! :cool:
2 REPLIES 2

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Hey nice find Martin, I myself an keen to know why also.. ':f

Martin-Rott
Level 7
up....

nobody has any idea???