cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4790K too hot ?

Zhawn
Level 7
Hi, completely new to custom PC's so be patient with me 😛
I do have some experience in the area but am new to all the custom stuff and new mobo's etc.
So i built this new pc (no old components), and i think my processor is running too high temperatures in idle (45-55C). I did an aida64 stress test and had to hit stop in 4 sec since temp got pretty high (see pic below).
List of components i'm currently using:
Maximus VII Hero
4790K (stock cooler)
Corsair vengeance pro 2x8Gb, 2400Mhz (these are not on the mobo's compatible list but work in XMP also, all test passed with flying colours)
GTX 970 (only one in case someone's wondering)
Aerocool GT-1050S 80 plus (1050W)

Now im not sure if my CPU is at 4,4GHz or 4GHz since AI Suite III shows its 4,4GHZ, and aida64 says its 4GHz..
Isnt 52-55C a bit too much in idle when Load is 1-2% ?
I also tried re-applying TIM, but the temps didnt change to any direction..
I am using a basic chassis with side panel open until i get my pre-ordered chassis.
All settings should be default since ive reset bios many times and have tried to avoid overclocking since atm everything is stock material...
Im sure i didn't provide you with enough information so feel free to tell me what else i need to post before anyone can help me.

23 REPLIES 23

NemesisChild
Level 12
Welcome to the forum!

Those temps are high, but your ambient temps do play a critical role.
What CPU cooler are you using and what case and fan configuration do you use?
What TIM did you use and how did you apply it?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

If you are not going to be using programs requiring use of AVX, then I recommend using either Intel's XTU or Asus' RealBench for testing stability. Again, exceeding 4.0 ghz is not recommended on stock cooler.

My run at high temps too, with everything in stock now in idle 47C, in game the temp go to 70-90C and in 3DMark physics test 100C, but I live in Brazil where the ambient temp now is 30C so I can't expect low temps this is why I want to buy a water cooler even I don't want to overclock.

jab383
Level 13
Hi Zhawn, and welcome

The stock cooler from Intel is woefully inadequate for ANY overclocking. The TIM on the stock cooler is terrible, too. What did you try for a replacement. Even with normal 'stock' turbo of 4.4GHz, that cooler can't handle the power burned in the 4790K during stress or benchmark tests. A good game is a stretch for that cooler. You did a good thing stopping the stress test.

I strongly suggest a better cooler. I've had good results with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO - a moderate sized air cooler. The problem there was space under the fan on that cooler for Vengeance RAM heat spreaders. My preference now would be water cooling - smaller around the RAM and video slot, quieter and more effective than air cooling. If the most you are going to overclock is around 4.4GHz and the CPU is good enough to do that at 1.20 Vcore (that is a good one), then a 2-fan all-in-one water cooler should be adequate. A good TIM also helps - Arctic Silver 5, Prolimtech PK-1, and MX-4 have worked for me.

Don't worry about Vengeance Pro DRAM. It works as advertised, and as long as it does for you, you're good.

I need to warn you about using multiple monitoring programs at the same time. I use Aida64 exclusively. It gives correct realtime readings of clock rates, voltages, power, fan speeds etc. That's when something like AI Suite isn't interfering with it. Two programs trying to read the same sensor often stumble over each other. Still, I'd take the Aida64 reading of clock rate at that moment over AI Suite which is probably reporting its setting for max turbo.

I don't use AI Suite. I do overclocking and setting fans in BIOS. With a goal of 4.4GHz turbo, the BIOS settings should be easy and sufficient.

Jeff

Nurz
Level 7
First thing to understand when using synthetic stress programs like aida64 and prime95 is that they use AVX instructions. Intel has designed haswell processors to increase voltage by 0.1 when AVX is called under dynamic voltage settings (adaptive or offset). So if the core voltage is normally 1.2V under adaptive or offset, it will increase to 1.3V. +0.1V is enough to make a significant temperature change. It is recommended that if you are going to be using programs that call for AVX instructions or if you are going to tune your computer according to prime95 or aida64, then you should control your voltage under "Manual" mode so that a constant voltage persists even under AVX instruction. So are you running adaptive mode or offset? If it is auto, then it is surely adaptive.

If it is still a problem under Manual mode, assuming your core voltage is within reason, then I would look at your CPU cooler (re-installing correctly), this is a problem with many H100i users installing the backplate incorrectly by not being tight enough for stability. However, your stock cooler is not recommended, even by Intel claims, if you are going to try and exceed 4.0 Ghz on the 4790k. You should really get a superior cooler, the h100i is highly recommended but needs to be installed correctly.

Zhawn
Level 7
Thank you all for ur replies, i will try to answer ur questions below.
@NemesisChild: Ambient temp is around 21-23. CPU cooler i am currently using is stock. Case has NO fans (which is why i have side panel Off). I pre-ordered the NZXT H440 Razer edition but i'll get that in january so this is only a temporary case. The TIM i used is Nexus TMP-1000, which gives the same results as the stock TIM that was already on the cooler. I'm not sure what you mean by "how dod you apply it", but i applied a thin layer on the CPU and on the cooler (funny how the stock cooler is round so ofc it cant fully cool the CPU..).

@jab383: I will be getting a better cooler soon, but just wondering with stock cooler and stock settings it Should work fine imo. In the future i will be adding water cooling of course. Thank you for the warning about the multiple monitoring programs 🙂
I actually want to keep it at 4GHz until i get better cooling but yday when i changed the frequency in bios, i got a q code 00 so i assume i have to change voltage also but don't wanna change anything i'm not sure of. I might wait on the water cooling tho because i plan on watercooling more than just CPU in the future.

@Nurz: I believe i'm using adaptive mode cause i havent changed much on bios. Only problem is that asus's AI Suite is boosting it to 4,4GHZ minimum so i guess i have to uninstall it to get to 4GHz safely ?

RickSinGA
Level 11
"i applied a thin layer on the CPU and on the cooler"

At least part of your problem! A very thin even layer on the CPU only. I personally use the Credit Card method, Google it for instructions, although there are others. There are YouTube video's showing how.

Rick S.

Ok, tried other methods also, but what i meant earlier was that i used the same amount as you would in "credit card method" but instead i used a plastic bag around my finger to spread it. After your comment i tried the credit card method and also the rice sized dot in the middle and 2x rice sized dot in the middle. Every time after re-applying TIM, i kept my computer on for a bit and noticed that the temp still goes over 50C when load is 1-2% (idle).
So i might go to store on monday and try to find a better TIM and hope that helps.
Or does anyone have any more suggestions ? 😄

Puffnstuff
Level 10
Unfortunately the stock hsf is horribly inadequate. I ended up replacing mine with a coolermaster hyper 212 evo with the 2nd fan and it works great and is very reasonable.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932