cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Formula BIOS Update Issues

kreejaffa
Level 7
I bought this board back in 2012 for a 3930k. Used it without issue.

I decided to upgrade my system a little last month, so i bought a new MB, Vid Card, and Ram.

I gave the Rampage IV Formula to my friend, along with my old ram and video card, so he could upgrade his 8+ year old system.

He bought a 4930k to put into it, which required a BIOS update. After flashing the BIOS, the system is now in an endless reboot cycle.

We have tried several BIOS versions, just to make sure it was not just the latest version, but every one has resulted in the endless reboot. Basically, after we flash the BIOS, he will go to boot the system, it will power up for 2-3 seconds, long enough for the lights to flash, then powers down for about 3-4 seconds, then repeats.

I have not really done much BIOS updating in my time, so I am not quite sure what the problem is.

We went through the flash process according to what is says. File was named R4F.ROM as needed.

Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong? If not, we may just have to RMA it.
8 REPLIES 8

CryptiK
Level 7
These have 2 bios chips right? Can't you swap the chip or use the boot jumper to boot from the other bios chip and recover or reflash the one that's bricked? If you cant do that have you Tried a different cpu?

CryptiK
Level 7

kreejaffa
Level 7
Funny thing here. We actually tried hitting the BIOS button on the board and flashing the other one to the latest version as well, resulting in the same reboot cycle.

I guess that means they are both bricked, right?

Praz
Level 13
Hello

What BIOS version was originally being used? If it was an older .ROM version the board needs to be converted for the newer .CAP versions first. This cannot be done using a IB-E CPU. Perform the conversion using a SB-E CPU.

kreejaffa
Level 7
It was running on the original BIOS that it came with, whatever that was. I never checked what it was, as it never needed updated until we tried to install the 4930k in it.

The thing is, my friend has the motherboard, and he is about 60 miles away. We have been communicating over teamspeak trying to flash the BIOS and get his system working. How exactly does one convert the board?

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The converter is run using USB BIOS Flashback and can be downloaded from the R4F product page at ASUS. com. It is listed under Support > Driver & Tools > BIOS Utilities. Instructions are included. As I wrote above the conversion will require that a SB-E is installed as the system needs to be able to boot to complete the process.

kreejaffa
Level 7
*sigh* This is becoming a pain in the butt.

I am just going to RMA the thing at this point, and tell them the problem and let them get it updated for me. Besides this, one of the jumper pins has come loose for the reset switch, and one of the DIMM slots is non functioning, so I will just let them fix it all for me while it is still under warranty.

Thank you for the information though.

BOLTS4BREKFAST
Level 12
For anyone reading this thread.. Praz's suggestion is 100% correct. That would've corrected the reboot loop issue. Bios needed to be converted to .CAP format.. But needed to be done using the sandy bridge chip. Good job praz!
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
Intel i7 3960X OC'd @ 4.7Ghz
Corsair H100i (Push/Pull)
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
16GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz
2 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
2 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
SoundBlaster Z PCIe Sound Card
Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound
Sennheiser PC360 Headset